Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed ford's technical bulletin revision for the 1st-2nd and 2nd-3rd shift problem? It includes "2nd main shaft gear, 1-2 synchronizer assembly, 3rd main shaft gear, 3-4 synchronizer assembly, the 1-2 and 3-4 shift ford and rail assemblies, blocking rings and oil filler level sticker" They also say to only put 3 liters of non-synthetic mercon ATF
Apparently these modifications eliminated the problem with 2nd gear being notchy and sometimes kicking you out, and makes the 3650 capable of holding 750 hp
The kit is about $650 thought.... and it doesn't look like the kit includes much for the price. Anyone had any experience with this kit?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm looking into "auto gear" right now for my second gear grind problems. I was quoted $400 for the kit I'm getting. Might be worth a look. Don't know if this helps or not but good luck with the fix

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked out the auto gear site, where did you find kits for the 3650? all i found was t45, t56 stuff
They fixed the trans problem I'm experiencing in 2004 with the new kit, so i would take your tranny apart and check that it's not just synchro wear before you order that kit, you could get by with just a 100 rebuild kit then
I don't think i'm going to get off that easily lol

·
Registered
634 Posts
Say I were to rebuild my tranny should I take it to a mech or can an average person do it??

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you do a good job of watching how everything comes apart, i think anyone can put a manual transmission back together. I would recommend taking a LOT of pictures of how everything goes together, my dad and i rebuilt a 700R4 and we just took a picture with a digital camera after every step and then watched the pictures on the laptop to put it back together
worked great lol

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah that's it
I'll try to find the link to that technical service bulletin and post it
Apparently 2nd and 3rd gear are actually made differently, i'm guessing to accommodate the new syncrhonizers

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah i will definitely do the same when i build my new motor, but i just swapped the fluid today, and it made a huge difference. So now that i don't feel like i'm grenading 2nd gear every time i shift, i'm just going to wait until i pull the motor

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
so you think i should try to change the fluid? cuz third gear isnt to badwhen its cold its when its warm that it really grinds.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would, it made a huge difference in my car
I never had a problem with third, but i had to avoid 2nd, now i can downshift whenever :D

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cool man, let me know if it helped

1 - 14 of 14 Posts