Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well ever since I changed the clutch in my car I had an issue with shifting some times. It didn't seem like an issue with the clutch though. I installed the Roush P51 clutch, OEM pressure plate, OEM TOB, and resurfaced the stock flywheel. The install was fine so I knew that wasn't the problem. The flywheel was in good shape so I knew that wasn't the problem.

Every once in a while while coming to a stop in first or second I would have trouble getting the car into neutral. It was really odd, it was pretty damn hard to get into neutral. Shifting wasn't that great either. It felt pretty notchy and I felt a LOT more in the shifter. I had installed Royal Purple Syncromax with a few ounces of Royal Purple ATF like I was recommended when I installed the clutch since the transmission was out of the car ..

Royal Purple Manual Transmission Fluid

I decided I would change the fluid in the transmission before trying anything else. I switched to Amsoil ATF. I have to say that I can't believe how much of a difference it made. Shifting is like butter now compared to before. It's a HUGE difference. Not to mention, my problem seems to be gone. I haven't had anymore problems getting it back into neutral. It feels just like stock now. I'd highly recommend it for anyone deciding to change their transmission fluid in their TR3650.

AMSOIL - Synthetic Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF)

·
Registered
411 Posts
Glad it worked out for you. I've been using Royal Purple Syncromax for a few years now and works great.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I did a fluid swap to Amsoil Synthetic ATF, completely changed the transmission; now the transmission shift so smooth and easily. I would highly recommend this to anyone with a TR3650, this has to be one of the best bang per buck mods you can do.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Nasty you should get the CHE k-member support :D just kidding

Im surprised that you got such a better performance out of Amsoil but then again I believe my trans had RP in it before and it really didnt change anything putting fresh trans fluid into it.

Nasty I hate you now im gonna be buying Amsoil next week when I get paid :(

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad someone brought one of my old threads from the dead. It's very fitting.

I've ran the OEM fluid, Motorcraft fluid that I purchased, Royal Purple Syncromax, Amsoil ATF and now am using Pennzoil Synchromesh and it's much better than any of those fluids ever were from the beginning. I contacted Tremec because I was simply fed up with it. Tremec told me they have been doing tons of testing on the TR3650 because of complaints, etc. Tremec is now recommended GM Synchromesh, which is very expensive, or Pennzoil Synchromesh. Tremec also recommends replacing it every year. According to a lot of people it gets better as you use it and I've already noticed it. It's been in my car for about 200 miles so far. I would highly recommend it.

Glad it worked out for you. I've been using Royal Purple Syncromax for a few years now and works great.
I ran it. It was great for some time but fell off with mileage and hard use.

I did a fluid swap to Amsoil Synthetic ATF, completely changed the transmission; now the transmission shift so smooth and easily. I would highly recommend this to anyone with a TR3650, this has to be one of the best bang per buck mods you can do.
I ran it. It was great for some time but fell off with mileage and hard use. According to Tremec the high quality ATF fluids like Amsoil is too slick for the syncros.

No, I have not.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Damn it I need to read dates more often. I think ive seen a lot of places with the Pennzoil Synchromesh around here. Good then forget the Amsoil im getting the new floormats and rocker stripes as planned. Maybe... we'll see next week.

·
Yut Yut Devil Dog
4,591 Posts
I have 3 qts of fresh Amsoil in the garage now. I keep telling people it's the Shizz!!!

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm the biggest supporter of Amsoil. It's the only thing I'll run in everything I own even a lawn mower. However, I can tell you that the Pennzoil Synchromesh works better than the Amsoil ATF in our TR3650s. Hands down. Hopefully it pans out and lasts.

·
Resident Diabetic...
1,827 Posts
+1 on the penn synchromesh. I learned this the hard way in the old trans in my 02. I used synthefic mobil 1 and filled it too stock specs. That fluid is too slippery for the synchros in the tr3650. Tremec calls for exactly 3.2 liters of the gm or pennzoil synchromesh. Made a world of difference.

·
Resident Diabetic...
1,827 Posts

·
Hardon Enthusiast
2,291 Posts
DAMNIT! i just put RP in mine! oh well it still has made a lot of difference. we will see how well it lasts and if not ill try penn. synchromesh

·
Resident Diabetic...
1,827 Posts
From what I have read RP will begin to wear your synchros quickly. I only used mobil 1 synthetic atf, and it started within 5 weeks.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's still progressively been getting better. I haven't even been driving all that much the past few weeks either. Very impressed with it!

·
Registered
776 Posts
I am obsessed with fluids and did a ridiculous amount of research when I bought my car. Here is the shortened version of what I learned...

1) Ford filled the TR3650 with the wrong amount of fluid. Tremec specifies a lesser amount. I forget the exact specs but basically Ford filled it to the fill hole whereas is should be filled to 3/4" below the bottom of the fill hole. I found all the TSB's and Tremec announcements to verify this.

2) Royal Purple is great stuff, I use RP engine oil and RP rear diff fluid BUT DO NOT PUT ROYAL PURPLE SYNCROMESH IN YOUR TRANNY!!! It may work great, but Tremec has done testing with it and advises against it. In my research I saw someone post an actual email from a Tremec rep who told him that they don't recommend RP syncromesh because there is an additive that will prematurely break down the blocker rings. It will work great for a good amount of time but will eventually cause problems. I saw other testimonials where people gave accounts of calling Tremec and were told the same thing.

3) Tremec recommends a few different fluids (a havoline blend, one of the Merc's) but out of the ones that their research endorses, GM Synchromesh is by far the superior fluid. Yes GM (shhhhhhh). It's pricey though at $18 a quart but totally worth it.

4) A lot of you are mentioning Penzoil syncromesh. Penzoil Synchromesh is GM Syncromesh repackaged in a yellow bottle and sold for half the price. I used GM syncromesh because I couldn't find Penzoil Syncromesh but there's a GM dealer with a parts counter near my house so I shelled out the extra couple bucks.

5) Personal Testimony - With the incorrect factory amount of the non-synthetic ATF that Ford puts into the TR3650, my car shifted terribly. Almost to the point where I wondered if I had bad syncros. And in the winter it felt like I had cold pancake syrup in my tranny until I drove for 15 minutes. With the CORRECT amount of GM Syncromesh it feels like a brand new transmission. Never grinds and shifts like butter. It felt better right away but TRULY felt amazingly better after about 2 weeks of being in the tranny and I know it doesn't have additives that will cause problems further down the line.

6) I have heard good things about AMSOIL and Redline but then again I've heard good things about GM Synchromesh but the difference is that Tremec has done research that ASSURES that GM Synchromesh will not cause problems. I have not heard of them doing any research with AMSOIL or Redline fluids. So AMSOIL "may" or "may not" cause problems in the TR3650 but why take a chance when Tremec has already done research, tested, and endorsed a high quality fluid.

I'm no expert on Mustangs but I have done my due dilligence on this topic. Bottom line, best thing you can do for your tranny is put the correct amount (3/4" below bottom of fill hole) of GM Synchromesh in your tranny.

If anyone wants me to find the documentation to back up any of what I've said I can hunt it down for you.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I agree with most of what you have said but a few things I wanted to touch on. I know we're splitting hairs here but it's good for the thread.

I can tell you the Amsoil ATF was no good in my experience. If you mean their MTF than I have no idea.

Pennzoil Synchromesh and GM Synchromesh aren't the same things in different bottles. Pennzoil Synchromesh meets GM's standards to be an acceptable fluid. It's very similar but not the same thing. I've been told this by Tremec as well as that the fluid should be 1/4" below the fill hole. Either way, this last time I disregarded measuring it and simply made sure to drain as much as possible and fill it with exactly 3.0 liters or 3.2 qts of Pennzoil Synchromesh.

As far as I know from my research the issue with FoMoCo filling the TR3650s with the wrong amount of fluid was never during the S197 model years. It was with the New Edges and they filled the transmission with 3.8 liters or quarts, can't recall of the top of my head.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I agree with most of what you have said but a few things I wanted to touch on. I know we're splitting hairs here but it's good for the thread.

I can tell you the Amsoil ATF was no good in my experience. If you mean their MTF than I have no idea.

Pennzoil Synchromesh and GM Synchromesh aren't the same things in different bottles. Pennzoil Synchromesh meets GM's standards to be an acceptable fluid. It's very similar but not the same thing. I've been told this by Tremec as well as that the fluid should be 1/4" below the fill hole. Either way, this last time I disregarded measuring it and simply made sure to drain as much as possible and fill it with exactly 3.0 liters or 3.2 qts of Pennzoil Synchromesh.
You are correct I just found this on another forum

I just got this email from Pennzoil today:

Dear Jason,

The synchromesh fluid that Pennzoil-Quaker State makes meets the warranty and performance requirements of the GM 12345349 part number for your application. It is not the same fluid that is in the GM synchromesh fluid package, so you can make your purchase choice based on price if you choose.

If you have any other questions or comments, please contact us at 1-800-458-4998, M thru F, 8am to 5pm, CST.

And about the being 1/4" or 3/4" I believe you are correct too (I changed it 6 months ago so I can't remember all the exact #'s). The reason 1/4" sounds correct to me now is I remember sticking my pinky finger in the fill hole and I remember not having to reach down that far.

Sorry for these innacuracies

1 - 20 of 32 Posts