Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
PhD in Procrastinology
4,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ran my turd down the track tonight. You wouldn't know by the time but I'm not pissed. I wanted to run my car with the stock suspension to get a baseline time. Here's what happened...
Staged up, no burnout(street tires).
"Launched" @ 2800 and you would have thought someone was beating a pig to death. Tires screeching, wheel hopping in first and second. My car must have been full because it spit second gear out back into neutral. After I put it back into 2nd, I was off, 7 minutes later, lol.

The one thing I'll give this car is that it pulls really hard. Blah, blah, blah...yada, yada, yada here's what you been waiting for
With the problems I had and a 101 trap time, this can be improved to over 110-115. What really sucks is that I had to play daddy and go look at Christmas lights so by the time I got to the track I was only able to make one pass.

Thought...comments. Be easy on me, lol

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Ive never been down the track either. So im not really sure what im looking at with your time slip. But if im understanding this right. 15.683 in the 1/4 mile. Im not sure if thats good or bad since you have a 347 stroker. So im hoping your time gets better once you have installed your new parts and have more seat time.

Its funny cuz im sure when i finally take my car down the track ill do 20 sec in 1/8th mile..lol

·
PhD in Procrastinology
4,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
15whatever is pathetic but 101 trap time is encouraging because even with all of the problems I still hit the finish @ 101. Which means, with no problems I should easily be able to hit 110-115. Which is a middish 12sec car...I THINK

·
Lets Just Touch Tips.
2,613 Posts
Ive never been down the track either. So im not really sure what im looking at with your time slip. But if im understanding this right. 15.683 in the 1/4 mile. Im not sure if thats good or bad since you have a 347 stroker. So im hoping your time gets better once you have installed your new parts and have more seat time.

Its funny cuz im sure when i finally take my car down the track ill do 20 sec in 1/8th mile..lol
Get some tire on it. Come out to the track with me.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
You have to make some more passes, that's not a good baseline. I ran a 14.7 @ 95 in my GT. That was with a stock 302, stainless shorties, pulleys, CAI, Catless H Pipe, Flowmasters, T Body Spacer, short throw, and some MSD stuff. I was also running stock 2.73 gears, and street tires. My sixty times were around 2.3. Make some more runs to get a real base line, you should be running better than that with a 347 I would think. Then again I saw a lot of cars that I thought would be fast at the track run slower than mine. I would go again and get atleast five runs in so you can see a consistant time and sixty foot pattern.

·
PhD in Procrastinology
4,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You have to make some more passes, that's not a good baseline. I ran a 14.7 @ 95 in my GT. That was with a stock 302, stainless shorties, pulleys, CAI, Catless H Pipe, Flowmasters, T Body Spacer, short throw, and some MSD stuff. I was also running stock 2.73 gears, and street tires. My sixty times were around 2.3. Make some more runs to get a real base line, you should be running better than that with a 347 I would think. Then again I saw a lot of cars that I thought would be fast at the track run slower than mine. I would go again and get atleast five runs in so you can see a consistant time and sixty foot pattern.
I'll have to see if the Sealy track is open.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
My first run was a 15.9. Just by taking a few more runs and getting a little more comfortable I was able to shave off over a second without changing anything but driving. Your times will get a lot better once you can hook up. I would say you should be low 14's to high 13's how you are now. A lot can happen at the track though, I saw guy with a supercharged LX running high 15's.

·
PhD in Procrastinology
4,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd bet my last dollar I can hit 12s as is. The reason I say that is not only did the bouncing get me but my car came out of second gear

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
I'd bet my last dollar I can hit 12s as is. The reason I say that is not only did the bouncing get me but my car came out of second gear
Yeah I'm new to the drag racing. I know if you can't hook, it doesn't matter how much power you have. There was a guy I met there with a 2005 GT with a blower, 410's, drag radials, and a shift kit on an automatic. I ran with him and he ran a 12.6 @112. That was moving right along. He had some experience at the track also.

·
PhD in Procrastinology
4,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I'm new to the drag racing. I know if you can't hook, it doesn't matter how much power you have.
^^oh so true...I thought my car was going to fall apart it was bouncing so hard. Man, I REALLLLLLLY wish I could have had one more pass. I would have just eased off the line, into second and then smashed on it. It kind of makes me want to wait on putting the suspension on.
Running that one pass and sucking ass made me feel like I was with a hot chick and blew my load in about 8 strokes. I mean, I know I can do better, just may not get the chance for a few more weeks.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
The mph could be there if it stays in gear. For referance, F8L GT has 260 whp and runs 12.50's in the qtr at 107. He also has a drag car with bolt ons and alot of weight reduction.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Now while that may not be a 'true' baseline run in most people's eyes, it doesn't make it a bad baseline either. I don't think you need to get everything out of the factory suspension first to show a good comparison. This helps show some of the inherit flaws of the factory suspension pieces and how EASY it is to improve times with the right suspension. That being said, without a clean(er) run, it isn't even an apple to orange comparison, it's more like apple to rock.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts