Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my car came with the track pack option, is there any reason to start upgrading the suspension at this point? This is my daily driver w/32K miles, most likely will not see any track time so I plan to upgrade as parts wear. My main concern would be the lower control arms since they look like they should be a bit more solid. Sorry for the newbie question, still learning about the S197's coming from 94.

I've started small so far with a Roush CAI, SCT Tuner w/tunes from Bama(Their tunes really do kick ass!!!), Ford Racing Axle backs, Pypes Cut/Clamp XPipe and finally a Barton shifter that will be here tomorrow :D Like to do Kooks headers w/catted XPipe, Brembo brakes and replace the CAI with a C&L in the future. I like the sleeper look so I may just pick up a set of wheels for the exterior.

·
I love to skydive
17,286 Posts
I don't think those are the best. I think. I know not a lot of people have those so I don't know :lol

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
The track pack isnt really all that special. While it is an upgrade over stock its still meh. A good set of dampeners springs and LCA's would do wonder. But Tires should be your main factor.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The track pack isnt really all that special. While it is an upgrade over stock its still meh. A good set of dampeners springs and LCA's would do wonder. But Tires should be your main factor.
Thanks for the reply DRock, that's the info I was looking for. As for tires, I have my winter wheels on there now and plan to throw some new tires on the 19's this spring.

·
Registered
310 Posts
yea gbgt need to replace them.. i have wheel hop like crazy and i have the trackpack.. i think it was a waste of cash but shouldve known then not now lol.. agreed with drock.. i just got all the susp parts in and man im so ready for this wheel hop to go..'

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea gbgt need to replace them.. i have wheel hop like crazy and i have the trackpack.. i think it was a waste of cash but shouldve known then not now lol.. agreed with drock.. i just got all the susp parts in and man im so ready for this wheel hop to go..'
Good to know, thanks gt2211tj. I bought mine used and didn't know it was a track pack car until I found my window sticker online so it's a bonus that it has some type of upgrade. I'll look into suspension mods too.

·
Registered
310 Posts
yea for sure plus you have 3.73 gear with limited slip differential.. on the brightside lol
is it standard or auto..

·
Registered
310 Posts
Nice bro me too..I can't really say how big of a difference is on upgrading on the susp but everybody always brag about it.. as soon as I install my parts ill let you know..

·
At the Apex pulling 1.28g
6,578 Posts
Nice bro me too..I can't really say how big of a difference is on upgrading on the susp but everybody always brag about it.. as soon as I install my parts ill let you know..
Do not think for a minute that because you have a track pack Mustang that the suspension can't be improved upon. Ford ultimately has to chose between ride comfort and performance and you'd be silly if you think they lean on the performance end. Aftermarket shocks/struts, springs, some good tires and a good alignment make the car a whole different animal. There is nothing about my car with stock suspension that even compares with the aftermarket suspension I put on it during the warmer months. Not even close. The difference is HUGE.

OP, I always recommend tires first, shocks/struts, springs, and PHB to follow, then the rear control arms (uppers and lowers, and their respective mounts or relocation brackets) if you are a drag racer, or swaybars, then the control arms if you are a corner carver.

Tires are always the most important, followed by shocks/struts. I figure since the shocks/struts have to come off you might as well throw on some decent lowering springs and doing so requires an adjustable PHB and it is highly recommended that you get new strut mounts for the front (I always recommend the Steeda HD mounts or camber plates and NOT the GT500 mounts which are more of the same junk as the stock units). Tires and shocks/struts always make a huge difference in how the car reacts to driver inputs.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Gbgt listen to whiskey the man knows his stuff.. I shouldve asked you before brotha but damn.. but I'm ordering shock and struts along with springs when I get from work along with aluminum driveshaft so we will see..

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Whiskey11. Makes sense, I had replaced every component of my 94's suspension and it made a world of difference. Doesn't surprise me the same holds true for the s197s.

Have a tire recommendation?? I drive my mustang year round but have winter tires. Prefer to stick with all season high performance tires. The last time I needed tires for the 94 I bought Kumho ecsta 4x's and they performed very well under all conditions. Figured I'd pick up a set when I'm ready. Was a devout Toyo buyer until they started making them in China and I felt the quality wasn't the same.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Like A Boss
18,927 Posts
I'm using the conti extreme intact dws. It is more comfortable than the bfgoodrich stock tires and gives excellent wet traction for a 17-year-old's spirited driving.

·
Super Moderator
7,917 Posts
Thanks Whiskey11. Makes sense, I had replaced every component of my 94's suspension and it made a world of difference. Doesn't surprise me the same holds true for the s197s.

Have a tire recommendation?? I drive my mustang year round but have winter tires. Prefer to stick with all season high performance tires. The last time I needed tires for the 94 I bought Kumho ecsta 4x's and they performed very well under all conditions. Figured I'd pick up a set when I'm ready. Was a devout Toyo buyer until they started making them in China and I felt the quality wasn't the same.

Hankook Ventus V12 or Nitto NT555. They're not all that expensive and they're a great tire for street playing.

·
Super Moderator
7,917 Posts
He said he wanted all season

I missed the all season part. That I don't know, never bothered at looking for all seasons since there isn't a huge difference between them and summer tires other than some cold weather traction. All seasons aren't the end all be all like some think, they're more or less 3 season tires since they're no better in snow than a performance tire.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts