Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
If your light is on saying that it is off and you try to push the button and the light still stays on. You may have a bad abs sensor. Is the abs light on your dash on?

·
No longer Maching out...
3,368 Posts
Why do you want it on?! :3gears

·
Registered
2,720 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your light is on saying that it is off and you try to push the button and the light still stays on. You may have a bad abs sensor. Is the abs light on your dash on?
Why do you want it on?! :3gears
i wanted to know to see if there is a problem in the car that could affect something else that i should fix.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
When you first start the engine is the t/c indicator LED on or off?

The operation of the t/c switch is described in the owner's manual--you can download one here...

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
"it lights up off" ???

I will assume from this you mean the t/c indicator LED is off (I.e. NOT lit up) just after starting the engine, and remains off when you press the traction control switch. If this is so then the problem is one or more of the supply fuse, the switch itself, the indicator LED or the instrument cluster.

Here is the t/c switch wiring diagram:

First check fuse #5 (15 A) in the central junction box.

The switch contacts can be tested with an ohmmeter, just unplug the switch and check the resistance between terminals 3 and 4. When the switch is closed the resistance should be near 0.0 Ω.

The switch and instrument panel both can be tested by unplugging the switch and shorting the pink/black and gray wires--with the engine running. This should turn the t/c off and light the indicator LED. If it does not then the instrument panel is not doing what it should or the LED is blown--if the LED does light up then the switch is bad.

The LED can be tested by unplugging the switch and applying 9 to 12 V DC to terminals 3 and 5 on the switch, + to pin 3 - to pin 5. the LED should light. If it does not the LED is bad.

Note that this is a special LED with a built-in series resistor so that it can be powered directly by 12 V without an external current limiting resistor. Radio Shack does not sell such devices, however they are available--here's an outfit that does supply them.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"it lights up off" ???

I will assume from this you mean the t/c indicator LED is off (I.e. NOT lit up) just after starting the engine, and remains off when you press the traction control switch. If this is so then the problem is one or more of the supply fuse, the switch itself, the indicator LED or the instrument cluster.

Here is the t/c switch wiring diagram:

First check fuse #5 (15 A) in the central junction box.

The switch contacts can be tested with an ohmmeter, just unplug the switch and check the resistance between terminals 3 and 4. When the switch is closed the resistance should be near 0.0 Ω.

The switch and instrument panel both can be tested by unplugging the switch and shorting the pink/black and gray wires--with the engine running. This should turn the t/c off and light the indicator LED. If it does not then the instrument panel is not doing what it should or the LED is blown--if the LED does light up then the switch is bad.

The LED can be tested by unplugging the switch and applying 9 to 12 V DC to terminals 3 and 5 on the switch, + to pin 3 - to pin 5. the LED should light. If it does not the LED is bad.

Note that this is a special LED with a built-in series resistor so that it can be powered directly by 12 V without an external current limiting resistor. Radio Shack does not sell such devices, however they are available--here's an outfit that does supply them.
i am sorry i didnt make it clear but when i start up the car the traction control button says off and it is orange . it always says off and the light is always on when i start it and even after i click it it still says off .

·
ZYZZ Brah
3,630 Posts
is the light on or off when you start your car? you're making it confusing by saying "the light says it off"

Normally when someone starts their car the light is off. You have to push the button to turn the light on which disables traction control.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
i am sorry i didnt make it clear but when i start up the car the traction control button says off and it is orange . it always says off and the light is always on when i start it and even after i click it it still says off .
Mine does that. But, I have had my traction control permanently turned off in my tune. I've driven many years in snow and other conditions. I have found our traction control to be totally worthless. I is not like the computer controlled traction control of newer models that acturally help when launching. Our does nothing but cut power. It appears that a previous owner thought the same thing.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
If the orange light is always on the traction control is off, if it is always on it may have been disabled in the tune or someone may have mucked about with the switch which it possible on the '99 through '01 models as they used a positive ON switch. The later models use a momentary switch to electronically disable the t/c.

Here is an article from another forum about how to permanently disable t/c on the early models. Pull your switch and see if it has been hacked...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
is the light on or off when you start your car? you're making it confusing by saying "the light says it off"

Normally when someone starts their car the light is off. You have to push the button to turn the light on which disables traction control.
the light is on when i turn the car on .meaning the t/c is always in the off position.

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
the light is on when i turn the car on .meaning the t/c is always in the off position.
Then assuming it isn't an ABS issue, either the traction control has been disabled in the tune or the switch has been modified.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts