Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys so im trying to work on getting traction with my 3.73 on my 03 gt(275rwhp dyno tuned). im going to be getting mm hd lca soon but need options on rear tires. Right now i have crappy pirelli p6 rear tires that make first gear completely pointless. The issue is that i live in Mass and drive year round as a DD. I thought about nitto 555 for april-september but i hate not being able to get on it from october till april. didnt know if i could just get like michelin pilot sport a/s tires as i hear they are good too plus i could leave them on year round. Just not sure if it will help my traction issues in first if i combine it with the lca, any input?

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,386 Posts
I currently have the Michelin pilot sport a/s tires and I don't even drive my car in the winter lol.

But if I were you, i'd buy some nice summer tires and wheels and then pick up some v6 wheels with some Blizzaks for the winter. Look on craigslist. You can find tires going for 40 bucks a pop. Also, what's you budget?

·
Registered
647 Posts
my battery relocation worked wonders for traction in my car. overall weight balance front to rear is critical. tubular k and batt relocation will be very good for traction. ive yet to invest in control arms myself, so i cant tell you how much that helps

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Sticky tires.... drag radials for the summer.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Your best bet is to get two extra wheels and run drag radials in the summer and all-seasons in the winter. I have four 9x17 and two 10.5x17 wheels in a matched set. I run 315/35-17 Nitto 555Rs on the back in the summer and 275/40-17 Continential ExtremeContact DWS all-season tires on the back in the winter. I run all-seasons on the front year round.

If you cannot afford that then get a good set of all-season tires. The ultra high performance all-seasons have better dry traction ratings than many of the high performance summer tires. Do not run drag radials in cold weather. The compounds hardens and is suseptible to cracking. Although some people do, you shouldn't run summer tires in the snow. Their compound and tread design give you very little traction in the snow. In my opinion, summer tires are the single biggest reason Mustangs have a bad reputation for handling in the snow.

Tire Rack is the best place to find actual test data and survey results for tires. Tire Rack also gives you side by side comparisons for many tires. Here is a comparison of the top four ultra high performance all-seasons. As you can see the competition is very close. I picked the Continentals (a close fourth) because it led the pack in wintertime traction.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=147

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
No wonder you have no traction. The Perilli P6 is a grand touring all-season tire. It has only an H speed rating. Click on the survey tab to see the results for that tire.
Pirelli****P6 Four Seasons

Here are the survey results of the top performing Ultra High Performance all-season tire.
Bridgestone****Potenza RE970AS Pole Position

Here is a Sumitomo Ultra High Performance tire that many people buy. This is why Sumitomos suck:
Sumitomo****HTR Z

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really just want a set that I can have on year round, obviously the p6 are horrible but how are those potenza'S ?? I just want a really good all season tire

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,386 Posts
I use to have potenzas but they were a summer tire.

Which potenza are you referring too?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The ones on the post above it says it won the high performance summer tire test

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
The ones in my post were Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position tires. They are an ultra-high performance all-season tire. They won the all-season test. Better for dry traction and cornering then my Continentals but not as good in snow. If I wasn't buying a winter tire (I run DRs in the summer) they would have been my first choice. As I said before they outperform most of the ultra high performance summer tires (but not drag radials).

Edit: New tires are coming out every day. Tomorrow someone will sell a better tire. You buy the best you can when you can.

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
Good tires are nice to have, but a properly setup suspension can make a big difference for traction. That said, high performance summer tires are a very bad idea for winter driving. A set of summer tires and winter tires will make you happiest.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i plan on doing mm hd lower control arms soon, and i have been reading reviews on the Continential ExtremeContact DWS and they seem like a great tire for the price. im assuming they will be much better than the pirelli p6 i have now

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I want to go with the continental extremecontact dws 245 45 17 for stock rims. My car dynoed 275 rwhp with 3.73 gears. I dd the car year round in New England weather so I want a tire that will be good all year cold and warm weather. Will I be able to hook with these ? I'm going with mm hd lca too

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,386 Posts
How hard do you want to hook? lol

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not so much launch wise, just after I roll be able to really get on it In first gear. I don't dump the clutch when I launch I slip it till it goes and then roll Into the throttle but my p6 tires really limit the throttle I can give it in 1st without slipping/ wheel hop

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lol didn't realize I didn't put hook "up" in the post ha

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lol are you putting out more hp tho?

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
So I want to go with the continental extremecontact dws 245 45 17 for stock rims. My car dynoed 275 rwhp with 3.73 gears. I dd the car year round in New England weather so I want a tire that will be good all year cold and warm weather. Will I be able to hook with these ? I'm going with mm hd lca too
Second gear up yes. First gear will require some throttle control. Instead of just slamming your foot to the floor, ease it down.

I know from experience that those tires hook better than the 245/45-17 Kuhmos and the 315/35-17 Sumitomos that I ran.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can get traction with my p6 tires second gear and up and I have to use throttle control in first now. Will there be some improvement with those tires? I don't want to spend over 300 if its not going to make a difference lol

1 - 20 of 32 Posts