Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So me and my dad are about to drop the tranny and Im getting it rebuilt tuesday.

We already have the catback and mid ppie out to free up alot of room and we have the DS disconnected.

Any advice on the bellhousing bolts and on taking the starter out?

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
how am i supposed to get the starter out? we cant erven get to the ****ing bolt on the top to get it out???

I need some help quick please. is there any way I can get to it without dropping the k member?

·
Registered
575 Posts
I think you can do it with leaving the starter in. not 100% sure.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Everything Ive read from my Haynes says you can get it out without disconnecting the starter.

Heres the steps real fast. After disconnecting the clutch and cables and driveshaft.

Support Engine with jackstand/wood.

Support Trany,

unbolt trany mount, raise trany slightly and remove the rear crossmember,

Remove the bolts securing transmission to bellhousing. (All models except 1996 and later models with 6.7l) On 1996 and later models with a 4.6L engin remove the bolts securing the transmission to the engine.

Make a final check that all wires and hoses have been disconnected from the trany and then move the trany and jack torward the rear of the vheicle untill the trany input shaft is clear of the bellhousing(3.8 and 5.9L models) or the clutch hub(4.6LL models). Keep the trany level as this is done.

Once the input shaft is clear, lower the trany and remove it from under the vehicle.

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
You can get the starter bolt from the underneath at the front of the engine. sit up a little and look thru the motor mount and you should see the top bolt. Thats how we get it.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
+1 doc...

and you have to get the starter out to pull the tranny, also do the top 2 bellhousing bolts first...will save some hassle

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can get the starter bolt from the underneath at the front of the engine. sit up a little and look thru the motor mount and you should see the top bolt. Thats how we get it.
thats how we got it

Me and my father finally got that bitch... OH MY GOD

that thing was such a ****ing PITA

Im ordering a new Spec stage 1 clutch and steeda clutch adjustment kit right now and am getting this thign fixed tuesday..

no more romping on it for 500+ miles

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
the stockers and shorty's are nice like that. me and doc could pull the car in, r&r trans, and be driving it in 3hrs. now its a little longer than that:mad:

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
starters a bitccch though..the top bolt sucks..we have a shop with just about every tool so you better have some small ratchet and socket

·
KCCO
14,878 Posts
the stockers and shorty's are nice like that. me and doc could pull the car in, r&r trans, and be driving it in 3hrs. now its a little longer than that:mad:

what LT's do you have. supposedly the macs will let you drop the tranny without taking the lt's off. we didn't even disconnect my xpipe to do the work either.

·
Registered
72 Posts
yea be glad you dont have longtubes when it comes to pulling the tranny out not fun.. Im running my car with just 2 starter bolts also, does fine for me.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
oh... well we took the entire mid pipe out as well for the room. Me and him were both under the car. he's 6'2'' 260lb and im 6'6'' 230lb. were big guys and need out room lol.

After 2 breaks we finished the entire thing in 4 hours. 1.5 of which was trying to figure out that damn starter and how to get the top bolt...

getting the mid pipe off the passenger exhaust manifold is a PITA too...

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
i am running the mac lt's, you have to loosen the passenger side to get the trans out. its just as easy just to go ahead and pull it all the way off.

·
Registered
638 Posts
yeah f that top bolt, burn it or something! its such a pita!! now make sure when you put the tranny back on, that your clutch pivot ball thing :eek: doesn't slide off, or you will be doing everything all over again.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts