Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is the drain plug for the tranny just in front of the oil? - got a lot of parts today and i figured i'll do fluid when installing the new pro 5.0

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
just fyi I was told if you dont have the proper tool you can only change 1/2 of it so I just took my to a shop the bolt is on the side of the tranny square lookin im pretty sure

·
Registered
569 Posts
u need a ratchet to take the drain plug out thats it

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
yeah you use the ratchet with no socket on it

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
yes seriously....i actually changed mine just the other day.....not the easiest job if all you have is ramps .....but it can be done.....i had a very helpfull pump......it was a big cylinder shaped thing that had a tube on the end and worked like a cyrindge......just stuck it in the bottle of fluid and drew it full then stuck the hose in the fill plug and pump it in.......but the drain plug is on the passenger side of the tranny and the fill plug is about 5 inch above it

·
Registered
371 Posts
i did mine with a 1/2" rachet, car up on jack on pass side, and ran a tube from the engine bay to the fill hole on the trans to fill it. took me about 30 minutes of what i call easy labor...

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
oh and you only need 3 quarts.......it takes about two and a half actually.....i used royal purple ATF

·
Registered
822 Posts
just fyi I was told if you dont have the proper tool you can only change 1/2 of it so I just took my to a shop the bolt is on the side of the tranny square lookin im pretty sure
its called and evacuator or something along those lines, but thats for automatics he has a t5. there are two plugs on the passenger side the one on the bottom is the drain and the one a few inches above that is the fill. you need to get a funnel and plastic tube to fill it.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
yes but you still need to take the fill plug off so you will know when the fluid it at the right level

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
yeah if your changing your shifter drain it on the bottom plug put that back in then take out the top plug fill it from under the shifter before u put the pro 5.0 on and have someone pour fluid in (make sure its ATF not gear lube) and when it starts to come out of the top plug its full..and make sure the car is on level ground when u fill it...
and use some rtv to seal the shifter on when u replace it

·
Registered
104 Posts
yeah if your changing your shifter drain it on the bottom plug put that back in then take out the top plug fill it from under the shifter before u put the pro 5.0 on and have someone pour fluid in (make sure its ATF not gear lube) and when it starts to come out of the top plug its full..and make sure the car is on level ground when u fill it...
and use some rtv to seal the shifter on when u replace it
Exactly, this is easier than trying to fill though the hole with a funnel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts