Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I don't need to do this anytime soon but was wondering if anybody has changed theirs yet and what are they using. I am very bias towards Royal Purple. It might be all in my head but when I changed to Royal Purple on my previous mustang the shifts felt a lot more smooth and I might have picked up a bit more power too with it being a much more high quality synthetic.

What do you guys suggest and or are using?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I know I don't need to do this anytime soon but was wondering if anybody has changed theirs yet and what are they using. I am very bias towards Royal Purple. It might be all in my head but when I changed to Royal Purple on my previous mustang the shifts felt a lot more smooth and I might have picked up a bit more power too with it being a much more high quality synthetic.

What do you guys suggest and or are using?
You could try this if your having issues..

TSB
11-11-1
FORD: 2011-2012 Mustang

The article supersedes TSB 10-3-18 to add a production fix date.

ISSUE:
Some 2011-2012 Mustang vehicles equipped with a MT82 6-speed manual transmission built on or before 08/15/2011 may exhibit increased shift efforts in cold ambient temperatures. This is usually most noticeable in 1st and 2nd gears but may also be noticed in 3rd through 6th gears. The increased shift effort may be the result of the increased viscosity of the transmission fluid in cold weather.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Replace the Motorcraft® Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid with 2.6L (2.7 qt) of Motorcraft® Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid. Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 308-03A for the transmission fluid draining and filling procedure.

This fluid is suitable for use in all ambient temperatures and seasons, and the Scheduled Maintenance guidelines in the Owner Guide can continue to be followed.

The use of friction modifiers or other fluid additives is not recommended since although they may provide some immediate improvement in cold shift effort, they are likely to result in long term degradation of the synchronizers.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
XT-11-QDC Motorcraft® Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
111101A 2011-2012 Mustang: Drain And Refill the Transmission (Do not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.5 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
7003 42

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford or Lincoln dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2011 Ford Motor Company

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I may look into this. I was more wondering though if Royal Purple Full Synthetic ATF would work fine in our Tranny's and if or someone has replaced their fluid with this yet.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Thanks for the info. I may look into this. I was more wondering though if Royal Purple Full Synthetic ATF would work fine in our Tranny's and if or someone has replaced their fluid with this yet.
lots have, but in the manual for our cars it says using any other tansmission fluid will void warrenty & can cause failure of the transmission.

lots of people have used other then recommended fluids and notices improvements...but if something happens to the tranny and ford requests some of the fluid for analyzing and find out its not the recommended stuff, they could deny warrenty.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems crazy to deny warranty simply over fluid. Not like I'm super charging it. Oh well. Thanks though!

·
Biz Jet Fixer
4,985 Posts
Plenty of us have changed it out, the majority of us have found the swap to be an improvement over the crap stock fluid.

I'm running Amsoil MTG which was a noticeable improvement over stock.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Plenty of us have changed it out, the majority of us have found the swap to be an improvement over the crap stock fluid.

I'm running Amsoil MTG which was a noticeable improvement over stock.
Nice! Ya I have been looking into the Amsoil stuff a lot, kinda why I am interested in getting info on this. May be going with Amsoil for the engine oil and tranny fluid.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Seems crazy to deny warranty simply over fluid. Not like I'm super charging it. Oh well. Thanks though!
actually it makes sense...new tranny's are so complicated and the wrong stuff can mess with it especially the syncros...but yeah its right in your manual.

whether they would deny it or not is a crap shoot, just know its a possobilty...

i agree that a great fluid like amsoil and i do not believe it would cause any issues, but Ford can deny it.

just to keep it in mind :)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Biz Jet Fixer
4,985 Posts
Nice! Ya I have been looking into the Amsoil stuff a lot, kinda why I am interested in getting info on this. May be going with Amsoil for the engine oil and tranny fluid.
If you're interested, shoot me a PM, everyone here get's dealer cost.

Reactions: Dan12gt

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm interested! How do you fill the m-82?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Torchy you will either have to have a pump bottle that will get the fluid up into the maintenance port on the side of the tranny or fill it through the shifter.

·
Biz Jet Fixer
4,985 Posts
Torchy you will either have to have a pump bottle that will get the fluid up into the maintenance port on the side of the tranny or fill it through the shifter.
^ This.

·
Potato
1,159 Posts
I use amsoil, for every fluid. The signiture series is good stuff, I use royal purple filters. I also have amsoil in my transmission, I changed it after I got it so I have no idea how it feels stock.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks man I ended up buying the Amsoil MTG. I got the Amsoil pump that just screws right on top of a quart to fill it up. I'm a RP fan for life but after doing hours of research it seems that Amsoil is the best.

I have RP 5w-20 in my car right now. After that I am going to Amsoil SS 10w-30 forever. Based on my Las Vegas climate, all the data points to 10w-30 as the perfect weight.

I'll post back here and give my feedback on the tranny fluid swap. What I think will be interesting with mine is that I am one of those that has a perfect shifting/sounding MT-82 so it will be interesting to see if my already good tranny gets better or if it just feels the same. Either way I'll have the piece of mind knowing that good fluid is in my tranny.

·
Potato
1,159 Posts
Thanks man I ended up buying the Amsoil MTG. I got the Amsoil pump that just screws right on top of a quart to fill it up. I'm a RP fan for life but after doing hours of research it seems that Amsoil is the best.

I have RP 5w-20 in my car right now. After that I am going to Amsoil SS 10w-30 forever. Based on my Las Vegas climate, all the data points to 10w-30 as the perfect weight.

I'll post back here and give my feedback on the tranny fluid swap. What I think will be interesting with mine is that I am one of those that has a perfect shifting/sounding MT-82 so it will be interesting to see if my already good tranny gets better or if it just feels the same. Either way I'll have the piece of mind knowing that good fluid is in my tranny.

It freezes a lot right now, I'm using 0w-30 instead of 5w-50, when race season opens back up ill switch it up. Royal Purple is awesome stuff, and so is amsoil, however I do not like the EAO filters

It freezes a lot right now, I'm using 0w-30 instead of 5w-50, when race season opens back up ill switch it up. Royal Purple is awesome stuff, and so is amsoil, however I do not like the EAO filters

·
Registered
247 Posts
Anybody ever put synchromesh in there with MTG? I did when i had an STI cause there trans's always have a little grind, which i have in mine now so was thinking of putting it in when i change the trans fluid. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I know of a guy that just put RP synchromesh in his tranny and didn't like it. Said it got worst.

I'm not knocking RP but synchromesh is thinner than MTG or RP gear lube(75w90) and the general consensus is thicker tranny fluid works better on the mt-82.

I'd recommend synchromesh if you live in a very cold climate. Other than that the 75w-90 stuff seems to be the best wether it's RP, Amsoil, BG or redline. All the research points to Amsoil MTG giving the best results.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Glad I can help! Also I am very interested to hear your review of the tranny fluid. I honestly don't have any problems shifting with my mt-82 either but if I can replace the fluid with something better for better performance / longevity I am all for it.

For now I am going to start with the engine oil considering it will cost me over $100 just to do it but should last me all year.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Glad I can help! Also I am very interested to hear your review of the tranny fluid. I honestly don't have any problems shifting with my mt-82 either but if I can replace the fluid with something better for better performance / longevity I am all for it.

For now I am going to start with the engine oil considering it will cost me over $100 just to do it but should last me all year.
I hear ya man. I swapped out my factory oil at 1600 miles with RP 5w-20 full synthetic. There were no noticeable differences between the two as far as noise, running smoother etc. After doing all the research I wish I would of went with 10w-30 but It'll be ok. When I change the oil again I'm going to go with Amsoil 10w-30. I feel weird saying this because I've used all RP products for years with great success.

Only reason I'm going with Amsoil is because after a series of many oil analysis of many coyotes across the nation, Amsoil weighed in as the best. Also the same can be said about the weight of 10w-30.

I can't remember the exact reason but some federal regulation is why ford uses 5w-20 in the motors.

Also attention all, the same study proved that FORD MOTORCRAFT OIL came back as suboptimal.

Also fwiw, RP did do well in the tests.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I hear ya. I have been RP man for years, I love my purple stuff! However yes I too have seen the data about Amsoil so I am wanting to give it a shot as well.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts