Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know i know post things in the right section....
but how the hell do i know if my tranny mounts are going out?
my car has been acting a bit sluggish lately, i had trouble with a stock 98 auto v6 :sorry
its had a tune up, its got msd 8.5s, 93 octane performance tune, wtf is going on, my girls 94 v6 auto her mechanic told her, her tranny mounts were going out but mines a 5 speed, is there any symptoms i should be looking for ?

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
I HIGHLY doubt the mounts are going bad.
its basically metal with maybe 1inch of rubber and a THICK ass rubber

rule #1 NEVER trust tire kingdom type places or jiffy lube

actually heres some knowledge
5 of 9 jiffy lubes charged a guy for a tranny flush and didnt do a damm thing.
i have the video...
oh and its funny they all said he needed that within in about a weeks time
i didnt know tranny flushes were daily?

·
Banned
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow
good thing i know all the guy that does the tunes ups and alignments on my car,
hes got a nasty fox body pushing around 590 all motor
but wtf could be making my car accel. slower, go thru gears wayyyy slower

·
Registered
638 Posts
yeah those shops are worse than the stealership. knowledge goes a long ways and saves you A LOT of money.
tranny mounts begin to squeek in the early stages. example- when i raced and shifted into 4th gear my friend told me my tranny mounts were wearing because he could hear the squeek. I dunno, he has an ear for those things. Then you will start hearing knocking or some shifting, possibly during turns, braking or accelerating. Im replacing mine tomorrow due to all the knocking, its annoying and a little embarassing!
ive seen alot of v6 mustangs with exhaust manifold leaks, bad 02 censors, and a lot of tranny problems after 60,000 miles, they're pretty notorious for that.

·
Banned
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mine has 67,xxx
but something squeaks when you first start the car im wondering what in the world that is....

·
Registered
638 Posts
mine has 67,xxx
but something squeaks when you first start the car im wondering what in the world that is....
squeek? like a serpentine belt? does it stay squeeking, intermittent? try to explain better. hopefully someone will chime in and tell you for sure.

a little off topic- why the hell do you regret buyings 18's. those rims are sexy ;)

·
Banned
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it just squeaks for a second when you start it up, i think its the serpentine belt but i could be wrong, it just squeaks lol its annoying but on its a lot to move for a lil n/a v6 to move but they do look good

·
Registered
638 Posts
Dude don't regret the rims. I know you get a lot of compliments, I sure as hell do. :D Next time you pop your hood check for any cracks in all your belts. And I hope it's not one of those REALLY LOUD AND ANNOYING squeeks that the serpentine makes when it is basically shreaded, cuz if it is then God Bless the people around you.

·
Banned
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ohh yeaaa
iv gotten sooo many compliments about them
only problem is,..people see my lil v6er and think its a gt
and they always ask, ''does that got a v8?!!'' and i get the privilage of saying no lol
but its just a sudden squeak, not continuous

·
Registered
638 Posts
ohh yeaaa
iv gotten sooo many compliments about them
only problem is,..people see my lil v6er and think its a gt
and they always ask, ''does that got a v8?!!'' and i get the privilage of saying no lol
but its just a sudden squeak, not continuous

:lmao im sorry dude I went through the SAME EXACT scenario when i had my v6, your post made me laugh! and you don't need a v8- get a turbo, right christoress ;)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Speaking of Tranny mounts. Anyone know the average shelf life and/or mileage of tranny mounts before they start to go bad?

-poindexter-

·
Registered
638 Posts
im approaching 80,000 miles and im replacing mine. my mom has a v6 with 85,000 miles and she needs new ones and probably a new tranny period.
not too sure on the average lifespan but theres a little somethin for ya...

·
Banned
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:lmao im sorry dude I went through the SAME EXACT scenario when i had my v6, your post made me laugh! and you don't need a v8- get a turbo, right christoress ;)
yea i got a couple of posts about that tma turbo kit for sale
i really wanna boost this v6 of mine
then i can sport my v6 logos and **** on most of these gts around here

·
Banned
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well im thinking with the way i drive they could be going out now but it feels like the tranny is wobbleing out from under me when i accelerate and in the past few days its been acting like its not able to keep up like it should be able too

·
Registered
214 Posts
im approaching 80,000 miles and im replacing mine. my mom has a v6 with 85,000 miles and she needs new ones and probably a new tranny period.
not too sure on the average lifespan but theres a little somethin for ya...
Ahahahahaha. Wow. I'm sitting at 100k so that would probably explain the knocking under my car now that I've taken the time to replace ALL my bushings on strut bars and control arms and such. Wow. I feel stupid. :eek:

Oh well. I'm doing a tranny swap anyways so adding some new mounts is definitely a must instead of a "might as well". :p

-poindexter-

1 - 16 of 16 Posts