Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Blood, Sweat and Gears...
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can remember back 40 years ago but I can't remember what I had for lunch, with that said what mod is it that holds your tranny still so you don't miss 3rd gear?
What adverse affects does it cause?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I aint a car genius but wouldnt some motor mounts help? thats my guess

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
I'd say either solid motor mounts or crossmember mounts if there's a bushing between the crossmember and the car. Other than that I'm really not sure what you're talking about

·
Registered
739 Posts
Without solid motor mounts would you be at risk of cracking the bell housing with all the torsional stress now on the bell housing? I have heard of only a few people who have cracked the bell housing but, would it be better to go with motor mounts before the torque limiters.

·
Registered
258 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
+2 on the CHE Brace-Made a world of difference on the 2-3 shift!

·
cammed, geared, and blown
1,919 Posts
how does that brace ^^^^ compare to the prothane motor mounts? I see that there's less poly to flex, but not that much.

·
cammed, geared, and blown
1,919 Posts
Used with the prothane mms its supposed to pretty much eliminate the flexing from what I've read.
but you definitely want to keep the stock trans mount, or else you'll break the bellhousing for sure. Are you sure it can be combined with the mm's?

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Without solid motor mounts would you be at risk of cracking the bell housing with all the torsional stress now on the bell housing? I have heard of only a few people who have cracked the bell housing but, would it be better to go with motor mounts before the torque limiters.
Unless you know of other people there has ONLY been one person who "broke" his bellhousing while running the Torque Limiters. Now no one knows if he didn't install it correctly or there was a casting flaw in his bellhousing since no one else has had this problem..

I'm not 100% but I think it can.
Yes.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Unless you know of other people there has ONLY been one person who "broke" his bellhousing while running the Torque Limiters. Now no one knows if he didn't install it correctly or there was a casting flaw in his bellhousing since no one else has had this problem..
OK, cool. It must of been the same guy, but posted and quoted in many different places. I wanted to go with poly MM but they seem like they will be a royal PITA with my JBA shorty headers all curled up in and around there.

With the cams and constant rocking at idle would the limiters be fine by themselves? I am just worried that the constant torquing on them would lead up to a crack. Especially with the jello MM not helping much of anything.

·
Blood, Sweat and Gears...
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
"With the cams and constant rocking at idle would the limiters be fine by themselves? I am just worried that the constant torquing on them would lead up to a crack. Especially with the jello MM not helping much of anything."
That is what I was wondering about too...

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
With the cams and constant rocking at idle would the limiters be fine by themselves? I am just worried that the constant torquing on them would lead up to a crack. Especially with the jello MM not helping much of anything.
Plenty of people with cams running them without issue. Think about this. The motor, transmission are going to deflect way more at WOT than they ever will at idle with a set of cams. I would imagine that's much less stress than at idle. The cams on modular motors typically aren't some wild cam that you would see in a 350, 454, etc etc. I'm running the poly bushings on the bottom vs all rod ends like the "Competition" torque limiters and your going to have some 'cushion' because of the design to allow a small amount of play.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
This seems like a pretty decent upgrade. Does it help most shifting or is it mainly WOT banging through the gears. For less than $200 I may pick one up and put it on before the end of the month.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
It will help most noticeably at semi fast and WOT shifting. If you're peddling around you won't notice much since the motor and transmission isn't really deflecting unless it's under a decent amount of load.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Yeah usually my trans is alright unless im really trying to bang through the gears and then I've noticed it sometimes wont like to go in as easy. Hopefully this fixes that problem. I've been trying to figure out if I want a 6 speed transmission or to go F/I next.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
This is probably a stupid suggestion, but have you checked to be sure that the Hurst shifter bushings, linkage and internal mechanics are still doing their job? I can't comment on Hurst, as I have an MGW, but I couldn't miss 3rd gear on a bet. :eek:

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I actually havent looked at it in a while but everything feels alright. Its just when im really on the throttle when everything gets touchy. The Hurst apparently has a so/so 2nd to 3rd shift. The centering spring isnt as strong. I just like the way the shifter feels its notchy. Im considering buying the MGW and trying it out if I buy the trans brace. Sucks I wont have the hurst shifter ball though :(

Everything depends on if I can sell my Vette this weekend and for how much... I hate waiting

1 - 20 of 20 Posts