Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car has been sitting for about 2 months while winter is here. I start it about every 2 weeks just to keep everything fresh and look for issues. Well i found one. When i start the car, there seems to be a rattle/grind sound from the tranny. It sounds like something is loose or slightly grinding as it spins inside the housing. Everything seems to shift and catch normally, but that sound is like a warning that something is about to go wrong. Any ideas what it is?

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Hey dude! Is this on idle or when you have throttle in it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Does your clutch seem a little "stickier" than usual?
The throw out bearing might be going through its last days on your car, it might be it.
If that's the case replace it as well as the pilot bearing, they're cheap! And if you need a new clutch do it all since it's a time consuming task

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its at idle i believe, cant really hear anything over my exhaust.. my clutch does seem kind of sticky, but i drive a wrangler 6 spd so i thought it felt weird just from switching back and forth. The clutch seems strong, but in reverse it seems to jerk and it tries to die unless i give it some throttle.

Its kind of hard to hear at first. I want to say it sounds like a duck...bad analogy haha

Also, i just had the tranny fluid changed with pennzoil synchmesh about 1k miles ago. It helped with the shifting and little grinding of the clutch and such.

quick vid

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
any good how-to's or write ups for replacing the bearing?

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
:shiftyeyes:shiftyeyes:shiftyeyes:shiftyeyesI was totally thinking this was something else from the title.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:shiftyeyes:shiftyeyes:shiftyeyes:shiftyeyesI was totally thinking this was something else from the title.

She looked like this..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts