Modded Mustang Forums banner

tranny oil t3650

4K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  lonestarrider 
#1 ·
can some one help me with steps on how to change my tranny oil and how many quarts and wat kind of oil thxz

#2 ·
theres a drain plug on the bottom, I use royal purple syncromax fluid in mine, think it holds 3-4 qts.. I cant remember how much exactly. Then there is a fill plug on the side, just fill it up till the fluid starts to come out. Easier than an oil change.

#5 ·
^1... pop the shifter off and take out the fill plug and pour it into the shifter hole and when you see it run out the top of the fill plug stop..... put it all back together and you are done.. atf will work... but i respect docs opinion on the rp.. i have never used it though....

#8 ·
dont use ATF..it takes gear oil!

drain plug on bottom...fill from shifter... no more than 3 1/2 quarts....4 is to much
when i drained my stock transmission, out came ATF. it was never changed or flushed

#7 ·
acvtually if you want a break down my mechanic explained it liek this....

thes reason our trannies take ATF is because inside of our transmission our gears are so close together that it somewhat acts like an atuomatic transmission thus needing a thinner fluid to make every thing smooth. I would use RP like recommended up here or you can go to your Ford dealership and get Motorcraft fluid.

#12 ·
I just recently did mine and when I did I called up tremec and asked what they suggest. They told me to use syncromech and only use 3.6l not the ford recomendation of 4.3. So I used Amsoil synchromesh ATF fluid but if you cant get amsoil deffinatly use the Royal Purple and also filled it by taking my shifter boot off to fill it which made it so easy. Just make sure you dont fill it to the "Ford" specs and fill it to 3.6l that was what tremec the maker of our trans said. Hope this helps

#14 ·
i also changed mines this weekend, but i found the "pour it in the shifter" method too much of a hassle. i would had to screw off my shifter, take off the boot, remove the 4 bolts that hold the shifter plate and the rubber gasket, take off the clamp and the rubber shifter boot, and then take off the allen bolts from the shifter plate. i went to a local Autozone and bought a manual pump and pumped the fluid through the re-fill hole instead. i was already under the car so i might as well use this method. it wasn't hard at all, just some little tight spots, that's about it. i used about 3.8 r.p. synchromax quarts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.