Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my car in May and the starter went out in a few weeks later so I took it back to the dealer to replace it. After the replacement I started to hear a whining noise upon acceleration. I didnt think much of it since I didnt remember if I heard it or not before. Now a few days ago I started to hear a low grinding/rattling noise when I accelerate. Could the tranny be going bad? It has 153k on it at the moment

If thats the case that its going bad I would want to replace it build it with a built one, shift kit and all

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
The starter should completely disengage after starting the car. That really doesn't have anything to do with the problem. How many miles on te transmission?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The starter should completely disengage after starting the car. That really doesn't have anything to do with the problem. How many miles on te transmission?
When I went to the shop I saw he dropped the whole transmission to put in the starter.

It has 153k on it

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
If he took the transmission out to replace a starter he's a ****nut.

I love trannys by the way.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
If he took the transmission out to replace a starter he's a ****nut.

I love trannys by the way.
^^^ this including the tranny pary :naughty:

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
When I went to the shop I saw he dropped the whole transmission to put in the starter.
:dunce:

I can see it now. Mustang is in for an oil change. You wonder whats taking them so long so you take a look. Good lord, the dumbass has the engine sitting on a stand next to the car!

All joking aside, does the whining stop when you push the clutch in? Could be the throwout bearing.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts

I can see it now. Mustang is in for an oil change. You wonder whats taking them so long so you take a look. Good lord, the dumbass has the engine sitting on a stand next to the car!

All joking aside, does the whining stop when you push the clutch in? Could be the throwout bearing.
lol he has an auto :bubba:

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea I know the guy was stupid now that im looking back on it. I didnt know anything about cars when it happened -.-

But Im taking it to a different shop tomorrow after work. A bunch of guys in the club take there cars there and said hes good and gives decent prices. If anything Im gonna go with a built auto! nobody gonnamake fun of my slowmatic anymore haha

·
Registered
3,352 Posts

lol he has an auto :bubba:
I know. Mine is a slowmatic to. Im just having fun. :naughty:

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
just wait for that stall and shift kit. Im coming for you!:fu
my cams n spray will be in by that time :gayfight2: :naughty:

you should just take it to advance auto in san ramon
they know there **** n work on almost all the cars on cafords

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
soo. who ever swapped out your starter dropped the transmission!? They are absolutely Retarded, I would hat to see how they change your oil..

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haha so nobody has an idea about what that sound is? We have all came together and believe that the dealer mechanic is a dumbass

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Are you able to pull the starter yourself? I would inspect to see if the teeth are chewed up, and make sure that the starter gear is fully disengaging.

Another thing I'd look for is to make sure that the dummy properly installed the transmission. I'm not sure about the auto, but the manual has a spacer plate that goes between the bell housing and the block. Failure to re-install it would result in more problems.

And check all your exhaust mounts. If he dropped the trans he had to drop the midpipe. That rattling could be a loose pipe or hanger.

Oh, and I'm sure it goes without saying, never go back there.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Haha so nobody has an idea about what that sound is? We have all came together and believe that the dealer mechanic is a dumbass
All 3 Mustangs I've had made that whining noise but that was normal for T45's. My current makes a whine. I plan on switching it out for a T56 sometime in the future

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Thinking back to when I dropped my trans and put in a new one, how the mechanic felt the need to keep going after taking the starter out, and continue taking out the trans is beyond me!! lol

the ****ers at ford, when i didn't do to much work on my car on my own, only put in 2 of the 3 starter bolts...kinda pissed when i saw this when i dropped the trans but o well lol

good luck figuring it out!

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
isnt the starter bolted to the trans/engine?

n maybe the mechanic stripped a bolt n that's why he dropped the whole trans

1 - 20 of 20 Posts