Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alrighty i've searched through a bunch of threads but none really answered my question.

what do you guys think labor would cost to swap a manual tranny from a donor s197 to my auto?

reason being, im looking at buying a donor since it would have all of the parts needed all in one place.

thanks guys!

·
2011 September ROTM
1,868 Posts
if your have a donor car with everything the onlything it should cost is to have the computer flashed at the dealer. then if your replacing anyparts, clutch, tob, ect. i swaped from a auto to a 6060 and it was about 6-7 grand but that is with all new parts mcleod clutch better shifter, custom ds, and tunning

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont have the knowledge to do the swap on my own unfortunately :( or the time to learn through experimenting since the car is my DD for now.

i've kind of looked through some other websites and it looks like i might need the wiring harnesses and what not switched over too? any idea how many hours it would be to swap everything over?

·
2011 September ROTM
1,868 Posts
you will have to switch the computer, engine harness, pedals, master cyclinder resivoir, trans, flywheel, engine plate, belhousing hardware, shifter, shift boot, clutch saftey harness, and a few other small things. if your getting a donor car it would be best if it was the same year due to differences in the computer and other parts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah thats the plan, im just hoping this is a little more cost effective than buying a brand new transmission + parts. if not i would probably go the same route you did with the tr6060

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope, the warranty was expired when I bought the car. I have a few mods into it but I'm really tired of the automatic. Great transmission just boring haha

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Nope, the warranty was expired when I bought the car. I have a few mods into it but I'm really tired of the automatic. Great transmission just boring haha
good, you never want to void her out untill she runs out. just follow the directions above and you should be good, if you have the parts and the time you could do it yourself. If would be a good learning curb for you.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would love to learn to do it but I have to get to work somehow! That and I don't have space to "learn"

But in the meantime do either of you have a best guess to how many hours it would take a shop to pull off the swap?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
well, that job will at the quickest take 2 days if you had tools and all day both days. with a shop now I would give them a week. and then they could run into complications (or so they say, to get more time) and extend that.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
O and for all that time your grand total will look around 2k-3k.

is 2-3k worth you learning it and taking a week off of work?

always juggle the cost to you doing it yourself, even if it is in a parking lot of micky D's LOL.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Haha you make a good point! I guess it's time to start reading up on some more manuals/write ups
yea I've done a few tranny jobs, they cost a bunch of money. It's worth learning it yourself in the long run. If you were near me I could help out but most people on this site can help you with questions you will have along the way...pics and videos help us out the most on here. plus it's good for someone else who wants to do the same thing as you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
my 06 gt is going to the shop Monday for the auto to 6 speed swap. the only 2 things I had a hard time finding were the manual 06 ecu and the little stupid bracket that goes on the gas pedal studs to mount a relay box on. most everything I needed I went to my local Ford dealer and asked if they matched the internet prices and they got close and no shipping charges. do some research and you can pull it off.

·
2011 September ROTM
1,868 Posts
my 06 gt is going to the shop Monday for the auto to 6 speed swap. the only 2 things I had a hard time finding were the manual 06 ecu and the little stupid bracket that goes on the gas pedal studs to mount a relay box on. most everything I needed I went to my local Ford dealer and asked if they matched the internet prices and they got close and no shipping charges. do some research and you can pull it off.
to me it doesn't make much sense to pay for all the parts and pay some one to do it on top of it unless you have a built motor or making more power than the stock auto can handle and have to upgrade anyway

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^^

Yeah the only reason I'm thinking about the swap is because it's looking like I can get a donor stang for dirt cheap.

·
Registered
176 Posts
aggreed. the op. said he was bored with the auto, not making too much power or slipping or anything wrong with it just bored. but he wants to spend the money, and for raisinjack he sounds confident in his plans. whos to say you shouldn't do that, just as long as its safe and the owner likes it. it makes sense and thats what matters.

·
2011 September ROTM
1,868 Posts
its your money do what you want. i did it but only cause i trash the auto and was past its power potential

·
Registered
54 Posts
i just did a 5 speed swap into my 95 gt but i swapped the motor and everything because it was a cobra motor and i did it in 2 days
as long as you have the other car right there for parts its not bad and its the first one ive ever done

1 - 20 of 20 Posts