Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my tranny is on it's way to the grave (after 100K+ miles on the bitch) and it's time for me to start piecing together my upgrade. Thing is I got a prob like doc, it's an auto and since it's going to need work one way or the other I might as well take the time and swap it for a 5-speed. There-in-lies my issues, however. Best routes to take.

So what are recommendations? Do I get a junkyard t-5 and rebuild it, shaved or new flywheel and a clutch kit with a steeda Tri-ax shifter? Or do I got to Tremec and get one of their TKO series?

Then what do I do about the tranny mounts? Anyone have a personal view on solid mounts vs. rubber ones? Or urethane/polyurethane?

If you guys remember right I had access to a 95 cobra's parts. But I wasn't financially set so the dude ripped someone off on Ebay for it (some dude payed 5 grand for the used and non rebuilt tranny :lmao ). Haha. But I still have access to all his pedals and **** and that's where the next question lies. Would his pedal assembly work in my "Whip" as the hip hopsters call it now adays?

uh... any other advice, questions, or feedback would be teh sex since the 10 mpg i get in my El Camino isn't really gonna cut it when school starts again in April. =X

-poindexter-

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
why do you think your tranny is going out? that 4r70w will out last your engine

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm getting power loss and shift issues. Not to mention it did outlast my engine. =P I blew the block my Junior year of highschool and had it replaced. Hehe.

Basically the tranny is not holding up to what I'm wanting from my car, and in order to get what I want from it I'd have to have it rebuilt (Which is pricey in my area since none of the shops that I know are reliable like to work on autos) and get a shift kit and hammer shifter installed and even then I still don't have the responsiveness I want. I don't care about track times, I care about how it handles on the street from gas to groceries to bombing the freeway. Ya know?

Not to mention it's doing this weird downshifting thing when I'm cruising. Like I'll be cruising down the freeway at 60 and all the sudden it'll drop a gear and shoot my RPMs up. It's been killing my MPG....

-poindexter-

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
a rebuild is gonna be cheaper than a 5 speed swap, how did you blow your block thats impressive in itself

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm honestly not entirely sure how I blew it... We bought it used when I was 15 and I'm not sure the previous owner took care of it. Then, one day, I was driving, Heard some clicking, then a very loud clunk and all the power dropped out. Haha. Got it towed and the guy just laughed and asked me if I wanted to upgrade to a V8? I asked him why? He said I blew the motor and would need a new block. Haha.

But it was still my mom's car at the time so she said no. Sigh. =(

-poindexter-

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
must of had some sort of over heating problem. But how much power are you looking to push into the tranny, and if you want a 5-speed get a new one if you can

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'd be happy at sitting anywhere between 300 and 350 rwhp. and if new is the case any suggestions?

I don't remember what the problem was with the engine. it was 5 or 6 years ago and i was just discovering sex so the car was more of a tool than an obsession. Now i wish i wanted pussy as much as i want horsepower. i think i have a problem. :lmao

-poindexter-

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
nah your normal, for 350 youd be good with a normal t5 probably, but the g-force would be your best option,

or get a lentech auto, save some money with the conversion and have a badass tranny, since you can order it with a higher stall and a transbrake

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
im looking into some options for a tranny also. Would it be better to just buy a good auto or do a manual swap? Whats the price ranges for the performence autos you were talking about?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah. I debate leaving it a auto, GF, but when it comes down to it, my GMC Caballero is a auto and to be honest I'd prefer to have a manual. I dunno what it is but I just enjoy manuals more than autos. And since this car is a hand-me-down i had no choice in the transmission option when it was bought, and I have too many memories and stuff to trade it in. So money's not really my big concern right now, but rather taking something that I love and making my love affair grow for it. Plus it's a reason to not spend money on a girl when she comes back from Cali. ;P

-poindexter-

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
NO! **** the auto, god dammit. Jesus. I'm getting a manual regardless. I ****ing hate having an auto, and furthermore I hate hammer shifters. No offense to those who like to rock it, but it's not my thing. I grew up driving sticks, and just happened to get screwed over in highschool and had to sell my baby to pay for college. Now I have a family hand-me-down stang and I love everything about it but the tranny. So stop saying anything about a auto cuz you're wasting time. The question was about a manual so pleeeeeease just answer those.

-poindexter-

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Oki, couple things in tis thread....

One, what kind of shifting issues? When was the last time your tranny fluid was changed? It should be changed every 40-50k....once it starts to wear out you WILL start to see shifting issues and sometimes weird behavior.

two, to swap an auto to a manual, you need the computer from a manual car.

three, as fun as a manual is.....its gonna be cheaper and easier to just get another auto then try and swap over to the manual. plus built/modified auto > manual.

four, you speak of responsiveness.....GET 4.10s, a MUST for autos. And what kind of shift kit? People with j-mod kits say that when they go WOT....the car immediately downshifts and has great response time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts