Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1985 mustang convertable with a 3.8 liter v6. my question is i thought it had a AOD in it for a trans but my dad was looking at the shift and he said it wasn't because it only says 1st 2nd and then drive so what does it have?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
85 v6?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
i thot there were only 4 cylinders and v8s until 94

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
No, there was V6s long before 94. Infact, V6s were fuel injected before the 5.0s were. The V6 was done in 86. 87-93 only offered the base 2.3L, and the 5.0L.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
so was it just 85 and 86 that had the v6 or were there more earlier years?????

·
Registered
698 Posts
All the way back to '79. Straight sixes a couple of years to boot. The straight sixes were torque monsters (as much as a 6 can be anyways).

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
well thats a nice piece of info.....i have been thinkin all foxes were either 4 bangers or 5.0s

·
Registered
423 Posts
you can possibly even have the A4LD but i doubt that

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i'm going to put a 351 windsor in it at some point and i was just wondering if i can use the same trans or if i have to get a new one??

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
Most likely it is a C5 3 speed automatic.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
are the c5 any good at all i'm guessing they aren't bc i've never seen anyhting for they to make them stronger

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
are the c5 any good at all i'm guessing they aren't bc i've never seen anyhting for they to make them stronger
Its not really a good performance transmission. They are basically a C4 with a lock up torque converter.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts