Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im planning on putting my gears in for sure within the next few weeks and want to put on a shift kit as well. How would that combo work? Im thinking the combo would be great and I would have a nice little machine to keep me happy until tax return, when I plan on doing engine mods

·
I smell like beef
5,580 Posts
I had the line pressure increased via tune with 4.10s and it was a blast even pre blower. It might be easier to do it with a tune than taking out and modifying your valve body.

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,386 Posts
Sounds good to me. A stall would make even a bigger difference if budget allows.

·
Registered
480 Posts
check out the J-Mod, cheaper, and invented by a Ford Engineer
True but the J-mod is over a decade old. There have been more improvements since then with a performance automatic shift kit/valve body kits that I would go that route if you can afford it.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
I had the line pressure increased via tune with 4.10s and it was a blast even pre blower. It might be easier to do it with a tune than taking out and modifying your valve body.
while you can get some seat of the pants feel with upping the pressure, it takes more power to turn the pump so while the car feels faster, it really is slower.

the trans go kit & 4.10's will wake the car up but you'll need a tune as well if you want the trans to survive after the gear swap.

·
I smell like beef
5,580 Posts
while you can get some seat of the pants feel with upping the pressure, it takes more power to turn the pump so while the car feels faster, it really is slower.

the trans go kit & 4.10's will wake the car up but you'll need a tune as well if you want the trans to survive after the gear swap.
Aren't the shifts much faster tho? At WOT the stock tune takes f o r e v e r to shift. With it adjusted via tune the shifts are quick. I'm kind of ignorant when it comes to trannies. Enlightem me.

What should I do when I instal a stall? - return the line pressure to normal or leave it?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

So ill need the handheld along with the gears and kit correct?

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
So ill need the handheld along with the gears and kit correct?
yes, an automatic car with gears must be tuned.

Aren't the shifts much faster tho? At WOT the stock tune takes f o r e v e r to shift. With it adjusted via tune the shifts are quick. I'm kind of ignorant when it comes to trannies. Enlightem me.

What should I do when I instal a stall? - return the line pressure to normal or leave it?
it shifts quick but it takes more h/p to turn the pump in the trans, it feels faster & may even be a little faster but with the proper trans mods it will shift nice & not cost power to do it.

as to the tune once the stall goes in, you'll need to address that when the time comes but you'll need to make a few tune changes, nothing major though.

Reactions: Nito2v

·
K1w1
941 Posts
You'll need a tune for the 410s otherwise the speedo will read wrong.

Sent from my SGT 2 using Autoguide

·
Registered
366 Posts
What are the advantages if any to going to a different valve body as oposed to a shift kit.

·
Pays in respect
2,891 Posts
yes, an automatic car with gears must be tuned.

it shifts quick but it takes more h/p to turn the pump in the trans, it feels faster & may even be a little faster but with the proper trans mods it will shift nice & not cost power to do it.

as to the tune once the stall goes in, you'll need to address that when the time comes but you'll need to make a few tune changes, nothing major though.
reps, that's some nice information. Thank you, I'll be looking into a shift kit!

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
Looks into Fairbanks too.

I dropped .5 tenths in the 1/4 with just 4:10s, tune, and or pipe from a CIA & catback car.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
ive got a fairbanks shift kit thats been sitting around for the last 6 months because i just havent had the time to install it! really anxious to get that bitch in this spring hopefully.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts