Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on my auto 4 speed im pretty sure its a 4R70W.
its a 2001 3.8 v6.
has anybody heard of these and are they good.
like a manual car without a clutch right?

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
they are junk, get a b&m shiftkit or j-mod your transmission

yes you have a 4r70w and the shiftkit would be the equivalent of a short throw shifter in a manual it will up the pressure of the fluid in the transmission and give you faster shifts and stronger parts,

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i heard since b&M are dealing with the computers they tend to mess things up. and i have read many complaints about them. and many good things about trangsgo.
cause driving like semi-manual seems cool

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
B&M does the same thing, only it is 10x better quality mine didnt mess with the computer at all. I had a b&m in my car but every transgo I've seen drove like crap, shifted way to ruff and had problems

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
you need a new shifter for that set up I recommend a b&M hammer shifter

but the would be it shift up and down 1-3 d would be 4th(over drive) and leave it in drive to keep it in auto mode

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've put transgo shift kits in trannys before. They weren't these new electronic computerized **** but I did put one in an AOD. I've also put them in TH350s and TH400s and they haven't had a problem.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
you need a new shifter for that set up I recommend a b&M hammer shifter

but the would be it shift up and down 1-3 d would be 4th(over drive) and leave it in drive to keep it in auto mode
Im pretty sure that is goes 1, 2, D (3rd), and there is a button for OD.

you can see that it goes park, R, N, D, 2, 1.....so i can only assume there is a button for OD.

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
Im pretty sure that is goes 1, 2, D (3rd), and there is a button for OD.

you can see that it goes park, R, N, D, 2, 1.....so i can only assume there is a button for OD.
thats the fox one, in the pic if you get the one for the new edge it goes 123d

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
yup I have a few friends with the hammer shifter, I never broke down and bought one for my car but they all had 1-3d

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
i think it is just because the d takes over full auto so it engages it

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
interesting....so if you wanted to keep the OD off you would just stay on 3rd?
yeah thats what it is anyway 4r70w is a 4 speed but 4th is a OD gear if you turn OD off you only have 3 gears

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
yeah thats what it is anyway 4r70w is a 4 speed but 4th is a OD gear if you turn OD off you only have 3 gears
well i know that :)

I mean the stock shifter goes 1-2-D(3rd) and the button for OD switch. The B&M shifter goes 1-2-3-D(4th or OD)....so if you wanted to keep the OD off, you would just keep it on 3rd? I hate driving around town with OD on and little stops make it shift constantly between 3rd and 4th....so i just shut OD off unless im on a highway or traffic free road.

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
well i know that :)

I mean the stock shifter goes 1-2-D(3rd) and the button for OD switch. The B&M shifter goes 1-2-3-D(4th or OD)....so if you wanted to keep the OD off, you would just keep it on 3rd? I hate driving around town with OD on and little stops make it shift constantly between 3rd and 4th....so i just shut OD off unless im on a highway or traffic free road.
yeah it would be 3rd D becomes your button

1 - 18 of 18 Posts