Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I haven't taken my car out to the track to run it yet but my roommate and I have been going to watch and we're going to be getting into it shortly.

Anyway, for the question, my GT has the 5R55s 5spd auto. I can leave it in second and get it to hold onto that gear without going to 1st or 3rd but I'm wondering if this will heat up the transmission too much or will making runs at auto-x events cause it to overheat?

Also, could anyone suggest an alignment that would work for both street and some auto-xing from time to time? I'm about to drop the car 1" all around but I've got the supporting mods to get the suspension geometry lined back up.

Thanks!

·
Registered
258 Posts
I would do the trans cooler regardless, it helps the trans last longer and running better. As far as the alignment. IIRC you can run between .5 to 1.0 degree of negative camber and be okay.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Or you could always do the ultimate trans mod.

·
Super Moderator
7,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Or you could always do the ultimate trans mod.

Th expense of doing that is enough that it isn't worth it. Already looked into it, plus living in an apartment, I don't have a place to do that kind of work. If I want a stick, I need to sell the car and I'm attached to it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Th expense of doing that is enough that it isn't worth it. Already looked into it, plus living in an apartment, I don't have a place to do that kind of work. If I want a stick, I need to sell the car and I'm attached to it.
Fully understand. That was my issue for a while before i did it. Mostly just joking with you.:D

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
Really depends on how you drive on the street. I'd also recommend something in the -1 to -1.5 range.

For the trans cooler, it's a good idea in general, but consider what actually causes heat in your transmission - it's not transferring power while in a gear, it's the friction generated during the "slip" that occurs between gears or while you're running below the stall speed of your converter. That's part of the reason that a shift-kit helps drop tranny temps - the harder shits are due to less slip between gears, and less slip means less heat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts