Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyyyyone?

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, thats what Autozone told me. I got 5 qts of ATF Dextron 5. They had Castrol Mercon V but it was hella expensive.

Gonna be doin this tomorrow. My first time doin it. Car is at 76k miles. I hope the previous owner did it at the first 30k mark (I got it at 35k). i should of done it at 60k but I have been slacking.

JTs03v6...

Thats funny. My name is JT. I have an 03. its a v6.... are you me?

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
You will probablly have to pick up another qt and add til it tops off.
Service manuel says tp change fluid after 30,000 miles but it's good for way longer than that. Also the myth that if you dont change fluid after so many miles and if you change it at say 100,000miles your trans will go to **** isnt true.

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
You will probablly have to pick up another qt and add til it tops off.
Service manuel says tp change fluid after 30,000 miles but it's good for way longer than that. Also the myth that if you dont change fluid after so many miles and if you change it at say 100,000miles your trans will go to **** isnt true.
Yes it is..
100,000 old tranny fluid builds up and sludges up like your motor. covering seals blocking potiential parts. when you drain it and put new tranny fluid and flush it. guess what happens to all that build up previously..

its not a myth its a fact. change your fluid on time or close.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Yes it is..
100,000 old tranny fluid builds up and sludges up like your motor. covering seals blocking potiential parts. when you drain it and put new tranny fluid and flush it. guess what happens to all that build up previously..

+1
Be ready for all the loose contamination and hope that everything is still in good condition when you change the fluid. Last thing you want is to do a regular maintenance fluid change that hasn't been done regularly and all of a sudden blow the trans. That would suck.

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
+1
Be ready for all the loose contamination and hope that everything is still in good condition when you change the fluid. Last thing you want is to do a regular maintenance fluid change that hasn't been done regularly and all of a sudden blow the trans. That would suck.
:yes

saying that this is a "myth that isnt true" is like saying you can change your oil after every 15,000 miles on conventional with out a problem...changing your oil is a myth.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Yes it is..

Your statement is fasle. Transmission fluid doesnt "sludge" like motor oil and does not create seals. Transmission fluid does wear out caused by heat from the tq converter though.
But I do agree you should change your fluid at the scheduled time.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
:yes

saying that this is a "myth that isnt true" is like saying you can change your oil after every 15,000 miles on conventional with out a problem...changing your oil is a myth.
Once again motor oil and transmission oil are completelly different types of fluids.
You should change convential motor oil at 3000miles. Transmission fluid should be changed after the first 30000miles and should be flushed after 60000miles.

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
+1
Your statement is fasle. Transmission fluid doesnt "sludge" like motor oil and does not create seals. Transmission fluid does wear out caused by heat from the tq converter though.
But I do agree you should change your fluid at the scheduled time.
honestly you might be new but i dont care cause your wrong.

let your tranny go with out a change for 100,000miles then call me.
I havent been working on cars for years but I know enough and have seen this happen on a 97k tranny.
changed the fluid and went 2ft after.

but hey you know better right. I've seen and was taught by a 30yr ASE tech in a class I A'ced and was top. Not trying to be a jerk I'am being REAL. same with your car. I know these cars like the back of my hand and have seen every setup done on these cars worked and reworked..

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
Once again motor oil and transmission oil are completelly different types of fluids.
You should change convential motor oil at 3000miles. Transmission fluid should be changed after the first 30000miles and should be flushed after 60000miles.
False. the ford windstar is to be changed at 40,000mile intervals
New hondas require NO TIME ON oil or tranny fluid changes. you are only to change the fluid when the car tells you. wether its 7000miles or 2000
Chevy's are generally 50,000mile changes on tranny fluid.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
It's pointless to argue with Chris. He's proven his knowledge on here plenty of times.
And when he says he knows these cars like the back of his hand, he means the front, sides, and between the fingers as well. He knows his **** end of story.

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
It's pointless to argue with Chris. He's proven his knowledge on here plenty of times.
And when he says he knows these cars like the back of his hand, he means the front, sides, and between the fingers as well. He knows his **** end of story.
lol i like the between the fingers detail.

btw i installed a battery on a white bone stock 2000 mustang v6...reminded me of my car when i first got it(yes it was white). forgot how the stock setup looked like. lol the guy asked me if i knew anything about the car lol:D i said i can tell you whats going to go wrong, when and why. had 80k and i listed some parts he'd probably already had to change (MAF clean, 02sensor, passenger header leak etc..) and he was :eek:

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Its true, he has no life. But really Chris does know his stuff.

·
muneris pro ego
7,475 Posts
i suppose i shouldnt change my tranny fluid then.. i have well over 100k and have no clue when the fluid was last changed... i dont want my tranny goin bye bye... especially when i cant afford to fix it :(

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I'd just get it flushed. I know mine needs it. But I think I'll wait for it to brake first, which at the rate my car is going might not be very far off. I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
Maybe I got away with it? I changed my trans fluid when I replaced the clutch which was at least 110k. I'm over 125k now no issues.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts