Modded Mustang Forums banner

transmission help

655 views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  MustGT98allday 
#1 ·
question is swapping a 99 cobra t45 into my 98 GT plug and play. I know the clutches are different but other than that is there anything else i need?

#6 ·
I've read several places about this and the consensus is that you need a speedcal for the speedo to work and other little things like moving cross member up and clutch related stuff. Can be done.

#10 ·
found out I would have to swap the tailshafts because the crossmembers mount further back on the cobras and also swap speedo gears. cobras are 7 tooth and gts are 8 tooth as well as mechanical. and also its not about the rebuild. My tranny leaks at the input shaft into the bellhousing and i really dont think I want to deal with it. Ive asked and never got a good answer on what seal or how to fix it. Id rather just swap one in and keep my old one and gradually rebuild it.

also does anyone know if i would really need a different clutch. the only difference I know is the diameter. the input shafts are the same and all so not sure why clutches are different between 98 GT and 99 cobra

#11 ·
Swapping the tail shaft is easy to do. Also there is a way to convert it from electric to mechanical speedo I just don't remember how. Try googling it. There should be a video out there somewhere

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#13 ·
No it's more that bolts. I haven't looked at one in a while but you should also have to push out a little dowel pin from the actually shift mechanism (where the ball from the shifter sits,right in front of that) watch out because there is a little ball bearing and spring under it that like to go flying away

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#17 ·
nice. how was the speedo change? easy? its just a matter of once the tailshafts off swapping the gears (plastic and metal) then using the old sensor? also could anyone input on the clutch change? the only difference I see between the 99 cobra and all other t45's is the diameter. 96-mid 01 gts and 93-98 cobras are 265mm diam and 99 cobra is 280mm.

#18 ·
also does anyone know if using a 98 cobra crossmember would work. just curious cuz the crossmember is obviously different on the cobra transmissions due the the different tailshafts so the 98 cobra crossmember sounds like it would bolt the cobra transmission up to my gt body unless the 98 cobra body mounting point for the tranny is also different

#19 ·
so i have been researching like crazy and found some info so i figured id post it up so its on here if anyone searches for transmission info.

the 96-98 cobra crossmember is the same as the gts. the way ford mounted the cobras is with brackets bolted to the frame rails. the brackets are pushed forward obviously to allow the crossmember to be used with the different tailshaft of the cobra. so one could easily swap a 96-98 cobra t45 into a 96-98 gt with the use of those two brackets. the only way to use a 99+ t45 is to swap tailshafts.

i guess the only question i have now is clutches

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.