Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my drive to work today my car started making a squealing noise, and tapered down to a winding down/clicking type noise when I depressed the clutch. After a bit of driving, it turned into more of a constant whirring noise that again went away when I slightly rode the clutch. Based on this, I am assuming I have a bad TOB or pilot bearing. Does this sound reasonable?

Question 2. My car is a 2005 mustang GT with a vortech supercharger and just hit 40k miles. It is probably pushing around 420 HP and I suspect this lead to the failure of the bearing. So my question is, while I am down there what else should I swap/replace to fix future problems before they happen?

·
Resident Headbanger
2,410 Posts
Clutch, flywheel, slave cylinder, pilot bearing, clutch line, switch to dot 5 fluid.
Yup. Exactly what he said.
I have the McLeod RXT dual disc clutch, billet steel flywheel, and braided steel clutch line and though the parts are pricey, they're well worth the money. It'll handle 900hp and still deliver a stock-like pedal feel for good daily driver use.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only thing I am skeptical of is the DOT 5 fluid. I thought you never wanted to mix 3,4, 5.1 with DOT5 due to seals. I would think some Motul 600 DOT4 or something would be just as good (got a bunch sitting around from my track car)?

·
Insomniac
5,912 Posts
The only thing I am skeptical of is the DOT 5 fluid. I thought you never wanted to mix 3,4, 5.1 with DOT5 due to seals. I would think some Motul 600 DOT4 or something would be just as good (got a bunch sitting around from my track car)?
You're right, by DOT5 i meant Motul DOT5.1. DOT4 would be fine as well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just an update. Did the clutch job with new SS line, Exedy clutch and lightweight flywheel, and bearings. Car is running great! (Except for some high RPM issues possibly unrelated, but that is the topic of another thread)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts