Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I installed my MGW a couple weeks ago and everything was perfect. Now I could feel it breaking in some and thought it was normal. Then I started to be able to here a clicking sound when I accelerated or breaked. Then last night I hit an awful bump in the road. Now today it seems worse than before. Every time I hit the brakes or take off I can hear either the shifter or transmission moving.

Is this normal due to the increase in road noise or is something wrong. I haven't had a chance to get under the car too have a look at it and probably won't til next weekend. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Something is probably wrong. When I installed the same shifter, I did not experience any noises. With all the adjustments on the MGW, did you set it up too close to one side or the other? Did you install the dynomat? Do you have a one-piece aluminum driveshaft? (Because then you do get some more movement in the transmission) Suggest that you look at it over the weekend because the clicking is not normal.

Sure you didn't bang a few gears and toast the stock LCA or UCA bushings lol?

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
With all the adjustments on the MGW, did you set it up too close to one side or the other?
What do you mean? How would you set it too close to one side or the other?? The shifter is bolted to studs on the body and to the transmission..

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm pretty sure the shifter is set up ok. I did install the dynomat and I have the stock driveshaft. I'm thinking something may not have been tightened down enough or I broke something off. I'll try to get under it today to check it out.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
I'm thinking something may not have been tightened down enough or I broke something off.
This is what I'm worried about. The 'shifter linkage' that has two studs on it can easily break when putting the nut back on it. It's possible that you barely broke it without noticing or it was close enough that a little bit of driving did it.

I hope that's not the case for you because you cannot order the shifter linkage by itself you have to order the whole OEM shifter from FoMoCo or find one used. Of course you can drill it through on the backside and put a bolt through it. I did this for a temporary fix until I found one from someone online. I think I might have an extra one laying around but not sure...

I remember a member has a similar problem. The nut ended up coming off on the shifter end of the shifter linkage and it was just bouncing around. Eventually while driving it fell completely out so he wasn't able to shift at all.

This is the shifter linkage that I'm talking about.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everything looks ok with the shifter. I'm not sure what the issue is. Any other ideas?

On a side note, there is a hole in the bottom of my bell housing that looks like it was knocked out. There really isnt any way it could have happened from bottoming out because of where it is located. Is there an adjustment spot in there that someone knocked the hole in the bottom of the housing to get to?

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I figured it was supposed to be there.

I'm going to look under it a little more, but I don't see anything that is causing the noise I'm hearing. I noticed that when I am holding the shift knob and I stop or take off quickly that I can feel the slight tick too. Its only noticeable when you hold the knob you cant actually see it moving. I'm guessing that is what I am hearing. I think something is just a little loose and shifting back and forth.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Did you check the tightness of the bolts while you were under it? I would check the front bolt that bolts the shifter to the transmission.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So it's getting gradually worse every time I drive it. It's gotten to the point when I break or hit the gas I can feel the shift knob move forward. It probably has a good 1/4" movement to it.

I'm almost certain at this point that it is not the shifter since I have checked every bolt and they are all tight and everything underneath feels snug. I feel like I had to have broken something when I hit that huge pothole (the goddamn road crew decided to stop paving the road and leave a two foot strip of pavement missing between the old and new pavement and not put up any signs or anything).

My guess is that its a transmission or motor mount or something that is broken. Any ideas at all of what I could have done to it?

Ugh the three months that I have had this car have been a total nightmare.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After looking around I am leaning towards a bad transmission mount. I don't know a whole hell of a lot about how the transmission is mounted. Can I check the mount without dropping the transmission??

Its looking like its headed back to the shop. I was really hoping it wouldnt get to that point.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I have figured out where most of the noise is coming from. If you look at the picture of the shifter body you can see on the two rods that go into the bracket there are rings around them. The shifter is moving back and forth and the bushings are squeeling.

Are these bushing supposed to be greased? I didn't look at them really when I installed it but I don't think they were. I think greasing them would solve most of the noise, but the real issue is why is it moving. It looks like the only reason it would be moving is if the transmission was moving.

It's going to the shop tomorrow to be checked out.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I took it to the shop and they didnt find anything wrong. I got back home and took off the back bracket of the shifter and you could see that the bushings had some wear marks from the shifter moving back and forth.

I greased them up real good and now the noise is gone (so far). So it looks like that was what was making noise. We'll see if it lasts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts