1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is what I have:89 Ford Mustang LX.
Current Engine: Near stock 302
Current trans:WC T5.
Current gear: 5:13 (plan on changing that after I decide on trans.)
Cars use/intentions: I don't plan on driving the car around town or on trips but may take it to the car wash or uptown once in a while. My plan is to beat up on it at the track just for fun. I do plan on spraying the car with 150-200 for as long as it takes it. But I don't have the nitrous setup yet.

I am at a point of replacing the flywheel, clutch, clutch cable, clutch fork, quadrant, and trans. I have been thinking of going with an automatic for a while but have not decided yet.
1- If I keep a stock build T5 will I tear them up one after another?
2- Would I be better off going with an automatic for the type of use?
3- Will a Rebuilt stock C4 hold up to what I want?
4- Would I be better off with a different trans? Maybe a TH350/400?

Just a list of the mods.

It has a rebuild 1989 302 - holley 650 carb, vic jr intake port matched, ported/port matched E7 heads, F303 cam, new billet dist., mezier elec. water pump (backing plate, inlet, plug, ect), Longtube headers, 3" duals 3" bullets a 1993 borg warner T5 trans, Aluminum quadrant, Fuel system starts with a fuel cell, billet fuel filter, holley blue pump, 2nd fuel filter, -8 braided stainless line to front, holley regulator with autometer fuel guage, dual -6 braided lines to carb. taylor battery relocation kit with aluminum battery box , flaming river rear mounted external power dissconect switch, It has working lights, ect. but the engine, elec fan, elec water pump, elec fuel pump ect. are ran from a painless wiring switch panel and custom relay center. Autometer Tach pod and autometer guage pod for center vents, will include autometer procomp tach, sport comp oil, sport comp water, the car has tubular subframe connectors, tubular k member, tubular a-arms, boxed upper and lower control arms, lakewood 90/10 shocks front and 50/50 rear, adjustable coilovers front and rear. 6 Point roll bar, built 8.8 with 33 spline spool, 33 spline moser axles, c-clip elim, ta performance rear girdle with stud kit, long wheel studs, new wheel cylinders and brake lines, new master cylinder with asp manual brake adapter, manual steering, Kirkey pro drag 417 aluminum bucket seats . Weld drag lights front and rear. 15x3 front and 15x8 in rear with 26x10 hoosier slicks. Has 6" extended cowl hood lift-off,

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
I heart my stock t5. Only way its gettin replaces is if someone drops a gforce t5 in my lap

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is completely stock and holds up the the 1.5 60's? I was messing with the car today, pulled out onto the street, and giver her a little hell. Nothing more than a burn out though. It mad a few noises? then I tried to go in reverse and it was like it was hanging up. I don't know what happened. I do know the clutch cable broke at the same time. I am not sure if it is causing the problems I am having.

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
hasnt broke yet... if it does its getting fixed and slapped back in. Tons of people have gone 10s in them. Not knowing how to drive destroys them

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
f that t5 ****... track only car it won't last.. just go with the c4 but figure out all your other parts first so you can properly match your torque converter with the rest of the mods and weight of the car.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only reason I would consider a TH350 or 400 is based on the transmission guy I may use. The price to build a GM was a bit cheaper and he said it would hold up alot better. And at the moment I can get a good deal on a bellhousing and flexplate for SBF to GM trans.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hasnt broke yet... if it does its getting fixed and slapped back in. Tons of people have gone 10s in them. Not knowing how to drive destroys them

What flywheel and clutch are you running?

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
some used heavy billet steel one off of coral and a king cobra

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you think what I described could be clutch related? I don't think it is anything too special as it came with the transmission. I never bought a clutch/flywheel because I was undecided on what transmission I am going to use. I took this on a trade for some other stuff.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The cable itself didnt break, the plastic part that goes into the firewall did. Which inturn rendered my clutch cable useless. But I was having problems backing into the drive and on my last attempt It broke.

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
it was prob broke before that then dude, makin the cable not engaging the clutch fully. Firewall adjuster and quadrant time

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Firewall adjuster and quadrant time
I know, I just don't want to spend $100.00 on it if I would be better going with a automatic. If I do keep the T5, It will need rebuilt. I think it may have broken parts inside. I only say that because the way it felt in reverse. It was like it was locking up on something causing the rear tires to lock up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts