Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 automatic 3.8 lately I have been noticing my transmission shifting very funny and I do no know whats causing these issues. The problems I am having is when the car is warm sometimes when I come to a stop it likes to vibrate real bad and tries to die out same thing if I put it into any gear when downshifting it does the same thing vibrates real bad and tries to shut off (some times it does die) but if I give it gas it stays alive also I have noticed it likes to downshift and upshift before going into 4th gear and if I come to a stop when i try to take off the car revs up and goes nowhere then bam its in gear (that only happened once slipping in first) it has slipped a hair into other gears but only did it maybe 2 times and stopped slipping. any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!!!

·
Efficiency is Performance
1,214 Posts
Sounds more like your IAC (Idle Air Control) valve is failing. Fix that first and then see if you are getting shift issues.

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
I assume you've checked the fluid level and that the fluid is not burnt? Does this occur when the transmission is cold, warm, or all the time? Have you done any modifications to the transmission main control?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fluid level is good and color is a nice cherry red only happens when the trans is warm I believe the trans has a shift kit and line pressure is raised I believe

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
Assuming these symptoms started occurring out of the blue, rather than just after modifying the main control (i.e. installing a shift kit), I'd bank on the forward clutch seals failing. You're not getting a flashing OD light, are you?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No codes at all and it seems to be when the car has been droven for around maybe 15 miles or so it does it and it hasn't happened since 3 days ago but I did fill that thing to the max with Lucas I'm probably going to do a filter and oil change and see how much metal I have in it and if metal just fill halve ATF and halve Lucas and see how many miles I can go until it blows out completely??? Sucks cause the car only has 120xxx miles on it, but it's not if its going to break it when it's going to break

·
hi you can call me mater
4,845 Posts
Sorry op I don't mean to thread jack but...
When is it the most effective time to check tranny fluid level? And how do I know if is at the right level?

03cristian

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
Does anyone have suggestions???
As you said, it's not if it breaks, it's when it breaks. The transmission is likely on it's way out, and will need a rebuild.

·
Registered
304 Posts
If that is the problem you would simply replace your torque convertor. It would most likely not be cost efficient to rebuild one.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What kind of tq convertor would you suggest I'm running a 9psi procharger on a 2002 3.8 v6 it has 42# injectors I believe shorts headers x pipe and flows nothing fancy...

·
Registered
304 Posts
Id stick with o.e.m unless you just have your heart set on a hi stall

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 15 of 15 Posts