Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've been building my car up for a few months now. Started with the On3Performance kit and some other goodies. The car has been more than impressive with modifications to the original turbo kit. However, you know how enough is never enough. In the next few months, I'm redoing everything and shooting for the 8-900hp mark. Starting with MMR internals and their Stage 2 turbo cams, SPEC Stage 3 clutch kit and new fly wheel (TBD), maybe a smaller, but more efficient Borg Warner turbo, and the list carries on. All this will be great unless I can't get it to the ground. All my suspension is going to be redone with coilovers, etc. Most importantly though, I know the stock transmission is basically going to give me the middle finger after a few hard launches. I see some really great transmissions that are already setup to handle this power on the market, but some of them cost more than a new motor. Anyone have any suggestions on something that might hep keep the cost down? Can the stock tranny be rebuilt with upgrades? I want to keep the car has a manual, otherwise I would go to a powerglide. Anyways, any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
FBGM
6,177 Posts
Theres really no way to get a cheap trans to get that power, your looking at atleast 3k for something thats 700hp rated.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah and that's kind of reasonable. I was referring to more of the trannies that cost upwards of 5k.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Im going with the t56 magnum. It's about $5200 by time you add clutch flywheel and driveshaft but to me its going to cost you close to that if you get anything new that will handle that kind of power. You can get a used 6060 for about $2000 but u still need a needed clutch ($500-1000) unless you want to put in a used one.if you are gonna make big power its gonna cost to have a drivetrain that will handle it. When you start hooking up the weak point will be exposed.

·
Slow 3v
1,081 Posts
Hey bud, nice to see Mallory back up(Im Jon from the SCWildhorses) Check into the S197 Magnum XL.

TREMEC MAGNUM XL S197 CONVERSION - Justin's Performance Center

Thats what Ill be going with along with aluminum drive shaft, Tru Trac and moser axles. I should be around 700 to the wheels once I get back from this deployment. I think those should suffice.

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
on a budget you'll want to get a used GT500 TR6060. i picked mine up for just under 2k shipped to me. that did come with everything needed for installation, but bought a new clutch, flywheel friction plates (already had a spec aluminum flywheel), and a dss driveshaft.

also you don't want the spec stage 3. you want the spec 3+. i have no issues driving my car around town with the spec clutch. if you have the money i've heard that one of the best ones out there while keeping an easy pedal is the mcleod. for sure get the higher rated one from mcleod though. can't remember if it's the rst or rxt.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey bud, nice to see Mallory back up(Im Jon from the SCWildhorses) Check into the S197 Magnum XL.

TREMEC MAGNUM XL S197 CONVERSION - Justin's Performance Center

Thats what Ill be going with along with aluminum drive shaft, Tru Trac and moser axles. I should be around 700 to the wheels once I get back from this deployment. I think those should suffice.
Thanks Jon! Yeah Mallory is running great. Haven't had her completely tuned yet. Not sure that we are gonna waste the dyno time. Be safe man and hurry back! Only a hand full of us around hitting big numbers! LOL

·
Slow 3v
1,081 Posts
Lol yeah Geoff got the jump on me with the cams and so did the silver convertible terminator but you and I are coming on strong. Who is tuning your car?

I can't wait to be back and make another video for us!

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Pro Motion will gut your 3650, weld in a fine spline input shaft along with other upgrades. I believe it's about $1500 in parts and several hundred in labor. You would need a clutch package. You would also still have the aluminum bell housing since it's integrated with the case which doesn't offer much protection in a catastrophic clutch failure, but....it's a cheap way to handle a lot more power.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nick Derrick from Yucki Racing is tuning Mallory using HPTuners. He's been doing a lot of DSM stuff over the past few years and is really starting to make a name for himself. Mallory is his branch off project in tuning Fords. Between him and my close friend Ken Oswald, we're learning a lot, sometimes more than we ever care to know about Ford tuning. It's gonna take some time and effort from all of us to get where we want to be, but I'm not complaining. I could've spent thousands by now on all the time he has put into car, but it's a group effort to expand Yucki Racing and Automotive Tekniques here in West Columbia, so no charges...lol..yet. We all help each other out though. The tranny is not the only thing we are looking to put the money into next....coilovers, drive shaft, axles, brakes...and the list goes on. In the end though it's going to be awesome to be driving around a car that so many people recognize, but don't know the true transformation it has gone through.

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
Pro Motion will gut your 3650, weld in a fine spline input shaft along with other upgrades. I believe it's about $1500 in parts and several hundred in labor. You would need a clutch package. You would also still have the aluminum bell housing since it's integrated with the case which doesn't offer much protection in a catastrophic clutch failure, but....it's a cheap way to handle a lot more power.
i know the op stated he's wanting 8-900 in the end. there is no way i'd want the stock 3650 in any form. upgraded isn't going to let him use that kind of power. even the stock TR6060 is only rated at 700tq.

OP: i'd really like to know what kind of goals you have to require 8-900hp.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I'm thrashing the **** out of my stock 10 spline 3650 with 597rwhp. There's not an issue with it's gears, it's the 10 spline input shaft that's the weak point. The other problem is the integrated cast aluminum bell housing, but it's a cheaper way out.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The 8-900hp goal is a number goal purely. Once there, the idea is to have the car built once, the right way, with the right parts, and not wasting money or time on the wrong parts. The car will remain street appearance and capability with a low boost tune for around town driving, but be able to go to the track and cut ass at a moments notice. I know people will say that is no longer a street car. Guess what though, you drive it on the street with full street capabilities and appearance, it's a street car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts