Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently replaced the rear seal on my tranny (4R70W) well it started leaking again, so i figured what the hell went and got another one and was even more careful installing it started leaking again so i took it to a tranny shop and the guy is telling me the bushing in the tailshaft is worn causing the output shaft to "sag" a lil bit and tearing the seal up! **** i hate to see what this is gonna rape me!

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
Tell them to forget it shop around see what prices you get!!

Ride it like it is, or swap it for a 5 speed like he said ^

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
Maybe it won't be too bad..........

Yeah RIGHT!!!

Sorry to hear that man. Sometimes owning a mustang can really suck, like when it breaks.

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
Maybe I missed it but how is the shop screwing you?

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
I think he's just worried about the cost and assumes he's gonna get screwwed on it. He could always just fix it himself if he's truelly that worried about it. But of course, I think some things are beyond the home mechanic. I'd never try to operate on a tranny myself, That's what experts are for.

I have a friend who has a construction business and he has a plaque over his desk that reads: " If you think hiring an expert is expensive, wait until you hire an amatuer."

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
If you can replace the seal, you should be able to do the bushing yourself, you just pop the tail shaft cover off and you can get right to it.

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
OP Im sure someone around PA will give you a hand we're a tight community!

·
Premium Member
14,288 Posts
If you can replace the seal, you should be able to do the bushing yourself, you just pop the tail shaft cover off and you can get right to it.
can the same be done for a manuel transmision?

mine is doing the same thing and causing a tranny leak, and ford told me they would have to drop the tranny and crack it open to replace it.

I told them to go **** themselves, i'll drive it till it blows up, because they wanted to charge me the same as a complete rebuild, well over 1100......

been two years and i just get a bad vibration at 65

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
had to go pick the car up, he was tellin me it looks like the front seal is leaking some and there is play in the tailshaft he even showed me. I took it to this guy because i dont business with him before, alot of people say good things about him, just the fact its a transmission job is what i was worried about getting screwed about. eh i cant bitch it shifts good still even after 201k on it im just happy to know theres an automatic out there that can push them many miles, Being that i had junk chevy trannys that kicked that bucket in as little as the 30k's.
might look into a 5 speed swap yet!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts