Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 mustang gt. Its an automatic and Ive been really wanting to swap it to a manual for the 2 years I had it. I wanted to know A couple things on what tranny you guys recommend. Not looking to buy new looking for one used. Don't have the money for a new because planning on putting on a turbo soon after the transmission is done. I wanted to know what transmissions are in the v6 mustangs. Would they work for an 02 gt? What is the rating on them? Do you think i could buy one then put a little bit of money in it and build it a little to make it stronger or are they pretty weak? The thing with the v6 if it works i would prob be able to find a donor car real cheap and just buy the whole car. Idk what do you guys think? And dont say about selling it and buying a manual. I know that. But I really want to build up my car. its my first car and i want to build up this one. Thanks for the input. Also a need a good transmission that will handle the turbo. Im gonna be putting on a turbo and then later do heads and cams.

·
Registered
224 Posts
that's a lot of work. why don't you just go with a shift kit in the auto? i understand wanting a stick, but i've known a few guys who've done it and after words said it's just too much work for what they ended up with.

jmho...

·
Registered
253 Posts
When I had an auto GT I did the JMOD and it made a pretty big difference from stock. I mean it's still auto but on semi hard launches you can chirp the 1-2 shift which is pretty cool.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
honestly it all depends what you want to do with the car. I am a manual guy.. but you could take the money you want to use to swap and throw a stal and shift kit in your 4r70w and make it a running SOB.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
the v-6 trans wouln't work, you'll need one from a v-8 & even at that you'll need upgrades if your going to turbo it.

I agree with every one else, if your building the car, leave the auto in it. the car will be faster in the end & the trans is much stronger.

·
Registered
998 Posts
stay with the auto. I just swapped a guy for his auto because the 4r70w just holds up better. I got a decently built trans with a stal and I will never look back. I started pushing in the 550 range of torque and new with out a build 5 speed I would be screwed. Without going to a well built T-56 or Tremec, I will definately break. The 4r70w's are alot stouter than the T-3650

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well i understand it might be. But Im going to get into road racing with it. So a manual would be better suited for what im doing. I understand the auto with a shift kit would be a big improvement and would be awesome for drag. But Idk just really want a manual and especially for road racing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How was the swap? What do you all need to do for the swap? What transmission do you prefer? Especially when running the turbo that will handle the power.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
If your going to put a turbo on the car it would be cheaper to swap in a t56 with a 26 spline input shaft. You will be constantly fixing a t45 or a 3650. I ran a promotion t45 trans in my old car and it was junk. At first it took alot of abuse but it **** the bed alot earlier than I expected.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Say I stay with the automatic. What shift kit should I get? Could you guys tell me what I should all do to the automatic. I don't to spend a great deal. What kind of converter should I get and so on.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Should I do the J Mod and a shift kit? Also what are these chips for the tranny do? Can you run all these together? Also I heard the shift kits weren't safe. Then I heard the trans go was not b&m. anyone know?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Should I do the J Mod and a shift kit? Also what are these chips for the tranny do? Can you run all these together? Also I heard the shift kits weren't safe. Then I heard the trans go was not b&m. anyone know?
It's either or not both ^. I've heard better things for the Jmod. (never tried b4 i will if i ever get another new edge auto). I've done the shift Kit (TRANS GO) wouldn't use any other brand for shift kit.

B&M is just the stick (shift handle). TRANS GO are the internal parts within the transmission itself.

JUST REMEMBER if you do go w/ jmod or shift kit: You want a TRANS COOLER :yes

^ The reason why ppl say they aren't safe is because they don't listen and install a trans cooler. These shift kits really speed up the timing and thus causing extreme heat (trans) so a trans cooler eliminates the worry.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I also have a tuner and have the transmission tuned. Is that still the same as a shift kit or should I do both?

·
Registered
775 Posts
I also have a tuner and have the transmission tuned. Is that still the same as a shift kit or should I do both?
All you have done with the tune is your shift tuning different. Like I said you can't do both the jmod and the shift kit.

Should I go with the J Mod or the transgo shift kit?
Whats your goal? And you still should look into a trans cooler (their cheaper) compared to maybe blowin up your auto transmission.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I plan on doing some road racing with it. The thing is I plan on putting a turbo and just want the tranny to at least perform better for now. I will eventually do a manual swap later down the road when I get the money. Putting the swap on hold would get me the turbo faster. I was looking into the b&m Hammer shifter too. I heard with a shift kit it helps with down shifting if you run the gears and it doesn't mess everything up like if you didnt have it.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
If you really are going to auto X, then I would suggest swapping to a manual. You could pick up a 3650, upgrade the input shaft and your good to go as long as it doesnt need a rebuild. OR swap to a t-56, its more costly but they are stronger, and will be better suited for high HP/TQ.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do you know of anywhere to get a used transmission. Don't really have all the money right now to do a new one. Would rather pay less for a used.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts