Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having issues separating the trans from the bellhousing there is about a 1-2 inch gap between the two but when i wiggle and pull seems to be stuck and wont go further. Any ideas? I havent removed the starter just yet because on the instructions i have it says it after so dont think that would be the issue. I noticed the throw out bearing is right on the pressure plate fingers i see side to side movement on the shaft but when i try pulling it no luck. Could it be a seized input shaft? Not sure what to do.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Is it a T-45?? And what exactly are you trying to do. Need more info

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry its a t5 i believe (mustang 3.8 1996) maybe im in the wrong section? Trying to remove the trans so i can replace the clutch. Got a Ram HDX and going to change the throw out bearing and clutch along wth the pilot bearing. Was doing it in two pieces (remove trans from bellhousing , then bellhousing to motor)

·
Registered
508 Posts
Did you take your shifter off ? It's been a long time since I've messed with a t-5, but it should just slide out. Make sure you use Ford bearings

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah general consensus seems to be it should just slide out which is why its driving me crazy lol. The shifter is off im thinking the input shaft may be seized or stuck ? I can wiggle side to side and see movement but not really back and forth. Maybe i will try to hrow some liquid wrench towards the spline thru the inspection plate and see if it fhelps...maybe try a pry bar as well as some tugging...doing this by yourself sucks! First trans removal for me as well

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,965 Posts
Sounds like it's in a bind for some reason. Be careful, don't break that bearing retainer.Try prying the clutch fork forward to release the clutch and maybe it will slide out easier?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I had this same problem when I did a clutch on my buddies Fbody camaro a few weeks ago. From the sounds of it, you will just have to make sure you are lifting the tailhousing high enough, wiggle it around, and above all else be patient.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sounds like it's in a bind for some reason. Be careful, don't break that bearing retainer.Try prying the clutch fork forward to release the clutch and maybe it will slide out easier?[/QUOTE]

This! I had same issue a few years back. Used a long screw driver to pull clutch fork forward and it pulled right out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
got it out! Applied some liquid wrench to kind of lube everything and also pried the clutch fork forward while pulling the trans out. Also made sure it was high enough as noted above. All the tricks seemed to do it. Thanks for the help, this was the forum i wasnt a member of, so i signed up just for this question and im glad i did. The feedback was great, thanks guys. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey guys just curious on preferred TOB around here, ive heard from nothing but ford, to ford is just as bad and go with timken. Its a circle of issues; parts numbers as well would be awesome. I think some people say the Ford Racing TOB i guess ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts