Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the tranny, clutch and flywheel out and I'm putting a new flywheel and clutch in soon but while the tranny is out I'm wondering if there's anything I need to look at?

I was told I need to look at the synchronizers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Check:
Pressure Plate, *if not getting a clutch kit
Fork
Pivot Ball
Release Bearing retainer for wear and/or cracks and make sure you check your end play on the input shaft. You need to check the retainer for the release bearing and the input bearing behind it. There will be play in the shaft if the bearing is bad. I should have replaced my bearing when I did my clutch last weekend and didn't, even left out the race [accidental of coarse, stupid me] and it destroyed the shaft bearing, but it was already bad because it fell out [off the inner bearing race still on the shaft] and I really didn't know enough about transmissions that I just put it back together without the race which didn't work out too well. It was a good lesson though, that I will not forget. Now I have to pull the input shaft and press on a new bearing, make sure nothing else needs tending too and put it all back together.

Replace:
Pilot Bearing
Release [Throw Out] Bearing
*if not getting a clutch kit that come with them

Also you might as well go ahead and do your rear main seal while you are changing the flywheel. I did and also got ARP bolts for the flywheel, and pressure plate, just for GP
Do Not forget to look-up and use the torque specs. I have them if you need them.

Good Luck and Be Safe.
Do it Right and Do it Tight!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought a brand new clutch kit and new flywheel. I'm currently at a stand still because I'm not sure if I'm going to have to do some tranny work. I was having some popping/clunking noise when engaging in 2nd gear; which makes me think about the 2nd gear synchronizers.

I'm going to open the tranny up tomorrow and see how everything looks. But I'm curious at if there's anything I need to look at closer than the rest.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts