Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I am looking into a tremec 3550 for my '86 mustang.. There is one for sale from a somewhat close friend of mine. I can get it for 1100 or 1000 dollars, it is just the trans and shifter. but the trans has a fresh rebuild. I think I would only need a new driveshaft (if length changes) and a new bellhousing(i think?).

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
whats wrong with your trans ?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
whats wrong with your trans ?
My Fourth Gear is gone in my T-5.. Second time this has happened in this car supposedly. And it is a stock 302 doing this. I am against this trans cause of it lol.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
oh ha, i was just curious sorry i cant offer any real help man, some one here can

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
If your ever willing to pay for one and shipping I'll sell you mine. I'm parting my car out. Mine is smooth as butter.
why are you parting out your car ?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
^ what happened? why are you parting it out?

lol you beat me to it

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a friend that is selling his whole 5 speed setup (he's goin auto) he's got the 3550 and bellhousing, flywheel clutch, and other stuff I don't remember exactly, PM me or reply if you don't mind paying shipping from Vancouver Washington and I'll give you his info.

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
flattus is selling everything since he knocked up some black chick from a high school

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
3550's are good transmissions and even though they haven't been produced in a bunch of years now they still fetch 1k normally over on corral's classifieds so that's not a great price but if it's totally fresh it'll last you a long time especially if your only on a mild engine build.

They are however a little notchy feeling when shifting.. not a problem it's just that everyone's used to how smooth and easy the t5 shifts. **** I could shift my previous t5 with my cock while eating mcdonalds on the freeway

3550's are direct bolt in for t5 cars so don't worry about the driveshaft not being the correct lenght. Only difference is that the t5 trans mount is a little too far up for the 3550 so what you have to do is either cut the tack welds on the trans mount bracket and slide it back and to match up with the 3550 and your good or do what I did and buy a crossmember from a fox with aod an be done wiht it. The aod crossmember fits perfect, I got mine for $15 on craigslist.

3550 does weight like 30lbs more then the t5 so it's a **** to lift up and hold while you bolt it in so have some help on hand or get crafty

flattus is selling everything since he knocked up some black chick from a high school
LOL in that case keep the car uncle obama's got you covered

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
3550's are good transmissions and even though they haven't been produced in a bunch of years now they still fetch 1k normally over on corral's classifieds so that's not a great price but if it's totally fresh it'll last you a long time especially if your only on a mild engine build.

They are however a little notchy feeling when shifting.. not a problem it's just that everyone's used to how smooth and easy the t5 shifts. **** I could shift my previous t5 with my cock while eating mcdonalds on the freeway

3550's are direct bolt in for t5 cars so don't worry about the driveshaft not being the correct lenght. Only difference is that the t5 trans mount is a little too far up for the 3550 so what you have to do is either cut the tack welds on the trans mount bracket and slide it back and to match up with the 3550 and your good or do what I did and buy a crossmember from a fox with aod an be done wiht it. The aod crossmember fits perfect, I got mine for $15 on craigslist.

3550 does weight like 30lbs more then the t5 so it's a **** to lift up and hold while you bolt it in so have some help on hand or get crafty

Fugggg I didn't think of that! I love reggins <3

Anyways. I always thought my car had a t-5. Never really had any notchy shfits. The stock tremec tranny has an outragous long throw. Besides that I've always liked it. Not to loud and it bolts in like a stocker. Didn't know about that fitment stuff, I always threw it in there haha.

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
Fugggg I didn't think of that! I love reggins <3

Anyways. I always thought my car had a t-5. Never really had any notchy shfits. The stock tremec tranny has an outragous long throw. Besides that I've always liked it. Not to loud and it bolts in like a stocker. Didn't know about that fitment stuff, I always threw it in there haha.
LOL yeah the stock tremec shifter is gay a ****, the two 3550's ive owned i've used a pro50 in both and another thing I've come to find out with this trans is that you need to check your pinion angle of the driveshaft in some cars. One car the angle was a little more then the other car and I had a slight vib at cruising speeds but once I spaced the trans up a little with a stack of washers on the trans mount bolts she was tight as a nuns C**T :eek:

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
LOL yeah the stock tremec shifter is gay a ****, the two 3550's ive owned i've used a pro50 in both and another thing I've come to find out with this trans is that you need to check your pinion angle of the driveshaft in some cars. One car the angle was a little more then the other car and I had a slight vib at cruising speeds but once I spaced the trans up a little with a stack of washers on the trans mount bolts she was tight as a nuns C**T :eek:
You sure it wasn't your pro 5.0 shifter that wasn't notchy? I have one on my T-5 and the 2-3 shift is awful.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Thanks for the Helpful and on topic comment!(lol)
I was concerned with the mount too, but I can get an AOD for free almost around here, lol. Thanks!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
P.S.
I am also thinking of a Six Speed Tremec for my car, as this thing is going to be running the **** out of the backroads, as in, ill be running with my friend's Mach 1, SRT-4, and some other little cars, and one other fox, through curvy ass roads. I want Close Ratio transmission ideas if I can also. Just as a consideration.. Any ideas/comments/thoughts/ideas, please share!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts