Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
PSN alphadong11
28,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if the trick flow kit h/c/i TFS-K514-360-350 can be installed in one weekend. I would be working mostly by myself with a set of ramps. also any special tools needed that I would find my self saying "oh **** I dont have that tool" after I tore into the engine.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
With a friend, and basic tools (including a torque wrench), you can easily have it done in a weekend.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Depends on how fast you work. You never know when you will have an unexpected problem, like a broken or stripped bolt.

But, you should be able to do it in a weekend. i would start by soaking header bolts in PB blaster. If you can't get your headers off, then you are stuck.

The plastic fuel line disconnect tools are really nice to have and a timing light and torque wrench. Also, I would plan on cleaning the "salt and pepper" 10 pin connectors, since they are notorious for causing problems.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
You talking about the entire Trick Flow engine kit for 5.0L's? Or just the heads?
If you are talking about the entire kit being able to be done in a weekend, with pistons, cam and all, that would be amazing!

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
how many miles can you run on that kit? like is it a dd kind of kit or weekend car only?

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
You talking about the entire Trick Flow engine kit for 5.0L's? Or just the heads?
If you are talking about the entire kit being able to be done in a weekend, with pistons, cam and all, that would be amazing!
They were refering to the entire kit which consists of heads, cam, intake and related parts. Trick Flow does not make a kit that includes pistons.

·
Banned
3,784 Posts
could be done easily, as long as you dont run into any problems...Start on it on a friday, get it down to the heads, or possibly even have the cam out...start saturday with installing it all and paying careful attention to torque specs...Get it all together saturday, start it up and time it on sunday...done

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
30,000 and counting on mine.
I assume you bored it out if its a race car, perhaps not, if ya did what pistons are ya using?
Also can you just do this HCI kit, or would it be best to bore the engine, clean it up and add the pistons? I mean at what point is it better to do the whole thing? Like wouldnt it be a bad idea to just put the HCI kit on if you have 90,000 miles on your block?
I dunno just woundering, i wanted to get a supercharger on my 91 but wanna rebuild the engine too, would it be smarter do bore it out, get new pistons and then do the HCI kit, or just do the HCI kit? Just woundering, you guys know alot more than i do. Thanks for any help - The Novice.

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
I assume you bored it out if its a race car, perhaps not, if ya did what pistons are ya using?
Also can you just do this HCI kit, or would it be best to bore the engine, clean it up and add the pistons? I mean at what point is it better to do the whole thing? Like wouldnt it be a bad idea to just put the HCI kit on if you have 90,000 miles on your block?
I dunno just woundering, i wanted to get a supercharger on my 91 but wanna rebuild the engine too, would it be smarter do bore it out, get new pistons and then do the HCI kit, or just do the HCI kit? Just woundering, you guys know alot more than i do. Thanks for any help - The Novice.
Stock pistons, stock crank, stock rods, stock bearings, etc. For a mild street car it doesn't pay to pull apart the stock 5 liter short block if it is in good shape. Mileage means nothing.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Already has forged pistons. If you going to tear it apart, might as well stroke it.

·
PSN alphadong11
28,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Awesome, before I start pulling it apart, should I go ahead and make sure that the #1 piston is at tdc (Im assuming compression stroke doesnt matter as the heads are coming off anyway) or does it not matter at all where the pistons are.

Subframe connectors and control arms coming thursday, shits finaly coming together.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Stock pistons, stock crank, stock rods, stock bearings, etc. For a mild street car it doesn't pay to pull apart the stock 5 liter short block if it is in good shape. Mileage means nothing.
Really ya think so? Damn you might have just saved me alot of money...But what would you same makes the difference between a block in "good shape" and one in "bad shape" Mileage doesnt matter ya think? It would be a street rod at best, maybe nitrous. If ya could give me some feedback when ya get the chance i would really appreciate it, thanks alot. You might have just saved me alot of money, let me know what ya think though, afterall you have done the kit before and know more than me.
Also would it be bad if i got Trick Flow headers and Upper and Lower intake, but used a F cam, or should i just get the trickflow cam too? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Awesome, before I start pulling it apart, should I go ahead and make sure that the #1 piston is at tdc (Im assuming compression stroke doesnt matter as the heads are coming off anyway) or does it not matter at all where the pistons are.

Subframe connectors and control arms coming thursday, shits finaly coming together.
just before u pull it apart make sure the 0 on the damper is at the pointer and the dizzy points tward the firewall

·
PSN alphadong11
28,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
By good shape he means that it doesnt burn oil, the compression is good and before you pop nitrous on an older engine you might want to replace the crusty headgaskets atleast. you could use the f cam but why? your going through the trouble (assuming you go with trickflow). all the components are made to work in unison. I wouldnt throw the F cam in with stock heads tho

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
Really ya think so? Damn you might have just saved me alot of money...But what would you same makes the difference between a block in "good shape" and one in "bad shape" Mileage doesnt matter ya think? It would be a street rod at best, maybe nitrous. If ya could give me some feedback when ya get the chance i would really appreciate it, thanks alot. You might have just saved me alot of money, let me know what ya think though, afterall you have done the kit before and know more than me.
Also would it be bad if i got Trick Flow headers and Upper and Lower intake, but used a F cam, or should i just get the trickflow cam too? Thanks for any help!
I don't think so, I know so. I've run that combination many times on a stock short block. If a compression check is good and the oil pressure is good, the engine is good. I wouldn't use the F cam. Use one of the Trick Flow cams or one of the Comp Cams Xtreme series.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Also would it be bad if i got Trick Flow headers

Well the Trick Flow headers are for high port heads, which have raised exhaust ports. Not for twisted wedges

Actually i'm surprised that those headers are shortys, and only 1 5/8" primaries. For high ports i would of expected 1 3/4" long tubes.

·
PSN alphadong11
28,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I dont know what the collector size is for those but they look like the same specs as my cheap bbk shortys. mabey it has little groves cut into the pipes for better airflow, but I would think they would of made them in equal length as well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts