Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my TCI ratchet shifter tonight. The install was a piece of cake, at least I thought it was. I took it out for a test drive and it is doing some really wierd stuff.

Park, Reverse, Neutral, and Drive seem to be all right. I ratcheted it down to first at the stop sign and started to drive. Before I could put the shifter in to 2nd the tranny shifted into 2nd and then 3rd without me moving the shifter (like it was in Drive). So I stopped and cycled through the gears and ratcheted it back down into first and same thing happened. Stopped and put the shifter into 2nd and started to drive. It started and stayed in 2nd until I moved the shifter up to 3rd, and then I shfted into D and it shifted into 4th. I tried to downshift to 3rd and nothing. I downshifted to second and it went into 3rd.

Pretty wierd, huh? Well I cut my cruise short and am waiting for the exhaust to cool down a bit before I go underneath to check out the shifter cable/linkage. Anyone got any ideas of what to look for while i'm down there?

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I will check it out this evening. I may have damaged a clip as I took it off the old shifter. That was the hardest part of the install was getting that shifter cable and clip off of the bracket. I tried to start it in neutral this morning and nothing. That tells me that there is an issue with the cable somewhere.

·
Registered
194 Posts
If your stock shifter was not in neatural when removed or if your TCI was not in neatural at install then you can have this problem. I played with my TCI right out of the box and got it out of neatural before the install and had to re-do my cable to get it to work properly.

Just a thought....

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, the instructions said to do it in Drive. I don't think I moved the cable at all. Everything from Drive on up works. I took it to work this morning, didn't ratchet shift, and everything was fine. I'll have to go back under there this evening and redo the cable install again to see if it helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts