Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Pig Romancer
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought this 2000 Explorer (V6) when it was new, and for the past three or so years it has started to make this really loud squealing. Sounds kind of like, "hooooooooo" (not hoe -.-). I've checked the belts, and the belts are fine. I took it to the local Ford dealership after on one else could figure it out and they told me it was the power steering. I know for a fact it isn't, that's been replaced within the past three years. Another mechanic told me it was the A/C. I know it's not the A/C now because I just replaced the compressor and haven't had a chance to charge it, so the A/C hasn't been turned on since last summer. Any ideas for other things to check out? The sound is coming from the rear, right side of the engine bay. I mostly had stopped caring, but now it's started to drop RPM and even go dead at lights and stop signs when the sound starts. It will only do it when it's hot. It doesn't do it once the entire winter, and all summer it whines continuously once the engine heats up. The hotter it is, the more whining, the more the engine turns off.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
My only suggestion as i have no idea what is wrong is to buy an OBD2 scanner and see what it finds. It might not find anything, but if it does you are already ahead of the game. Most auto parts stores should be able to do it for you as well, free of charge. Without a scanner, all anyone can do is guess. And a stethoscope comes in handy as well. A 2-3 foot section of rubber hose and a dril bit that fits into one end should do the trick. Put the hose to your ear and the bit to whatever and start probing. It might not find it, but should get you close. Just be careful around the belt. No long sleeves, no bracelets, and no long hair.

Right rear of the engine bay...all i can think of is the blower motor. Regardless, i would still buy a scanner. Or did the stealership use thiers? If so, did they find anything?

·
Pig Romancer
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My only suggestion as i have no idea what is wrong is to buy an OBD2 scanner and see what it finds. It might not find anything, but if it does you are already ahead of the game. Most auto parts stores should be able to do it for you as well, free of charge. Without a scanner, all anyone can do is guess. And a stethoscope comes in handy as well. A 2-3 foot section of rubber hose and a dril bit that fits into one end should do the trick. Put the hose to your ear and the bit to whatever and start probing. It might not find it, but should get you close. Just be careful around the belt. No long sleeves, no bracelets, and no long hair.

Right rear of the engine bay...all i can think of is the blower motor. Regardless, i would still buy a scanner. Or did the stealership use thiers? If so, did they find anything?
I don't know if they did or not. If they did, it apparently didn't find anything. I haven't thought about it since it wasn't throwing any codes. I'll take it down the street and let Autozone do it tomorrow. That stethoscope is a great idea I've not heard of, haha. Thanks for the response.

·
DSMs are cool...
2,059 Posts
Could it possibly be a vacuum leak? Try running a can of seafoam through and you should be able to see smoke come out of anywhere..or do a real smoke test or whatever else you want to do to check for vacuum leaks. If there are no lights on , don't bother buying a cheap scanner, it won't find anything to help you

1 - 4 of 4 Posts