Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 4.6 longblock out of a 2001 truck for $100. Are these pretty much the same pi heads and block that they use in our cars? Just thinking this might be a good starting point for a built motor.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
i was helping my buddy with a 4.6 out of a truck, and it was the same base, just there were some diffrences, it should work as a build though

·
Registered
1,929 Posts

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dont know much about it, it was a core from the dealership. Has everything on it...harness, cop's, intake, etc. I figure I can sell some of the parts and get my $100 back lol and just build the block and heads

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
yea most of the accesories prob will not switch over, just sell all that ****, and build the block and heads

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any pro's or con's to this motor? :dunno

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Just curious, is it a Windsor?

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont think so... has a 6 bolt crank

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im just still not sure if I should use this or hold out for a 5.4 block

·
Registered
189 Posts
I can speak from experience: those were great motors, at least for longevity. My dad has had 3 10th Generation F-150's (97-04), and they have lasted into high kilometers even with much heavy towing that should have been left up to a bigger truck. I inherited his last F-150 from 2002 (he has since switched to a F-250) at 180,000 km, and I have it at 245,000 km and I expect to keep it well into the 300,000. I have had no problems with the engine (or the truck for that matter) My neighbor who is a mechanic at a Ford dealership says they pull 4.6's out of cabs all the time with over 500,000 kms on them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts