Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i read on another forum that the

"the caliper on the cobra and the gt are the same in the rear, they just have a different bracket"

is this true ?

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
it looks like they could be the same. i wouldnt be surprised if they were.

and thats something ive wondered about. why did SVT put a nice big "cobra" caliper assembly on the front, and then put a small odd looking assembly on the back. WTF? it looks stupid.

sometimes i wish i could talk to the svt guys and ask what their reasoning was behind a few things they did with the cobras.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
it looks like they could be the same. i wouldnt be surprised if they were.

and thats something ive wondered about. why did SVT put a nice big "cobra" caliper assembly on the front, and then put a small odd looking assembly on the back. WTF? it looks stupid.

sometimes i wish i could talk to the svt guys and ask what their reasoning was behind a few things they did with the cobras.
Probably money and weight distribution. Termis are so front heavy, that when you jam on the brakes, you have very little weight on your back tires, thus no need for a bad ass braking system in the rear. I do agree though, that was a pretty dumb thought. It probably only would have been like an extra couple hundered bucks for nice rear brakes.

·
Registered
975 Posts
true, thats why you can leave your brake line on when doing a irs to solid axle swap.

vry true. only difference is color or no color.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow i was about to but the whole kit ...lol

·
Zoolander
7,719 Posts
also 75% of your braking is done with your front brakes. Thats why with the Cobra R brake kit is for the front brakes.

·
Registered
777 Posts
wrong! the cobras and gts have different rear brakes. the gt has bigger pads and vented rotors, the gt has smaller pads and solid rotors. all brake system are a 50/50 or 60/40 split. not 75/25.

·
Banned
2,403 Posts
cobra's have slightly larger rear brakes, same size as the Mach1 so if you want to use cobra calipers on a GT you have to get mach 1 rear brackets.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
also 75% of your braking is done with your front brakes. Thats why with the Cobra R brake kit is for the front brakes.
Unless you drive a Porsche:D

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bump

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
The rear rotors on the gt's are smaller than the cobra,mach 1, and bullit's. The cobra brake package that comes on these is twin piston calipers with 13" rotors up front. Single piston calipers with 11.7" rotors out back. The gt's are twin piston calipers with 10.8" rotors up front. Single piston calipers with 10.5" rotors out back.

·
Registered
975 Posts
i read on another forum that the

"the caliper on the cobra and the gt are the same in the rear, they just have a different bracket"

is this true ?

the answer is true. just but the mach1, cobra, or bullitt brackets and rotors and use your stock calipers. just make sure you buy rear pads for a cobra,mach, or bullitt when you need to change them or they wont fit. they will be way to big because the cobra rotor is thicker.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts