Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1995 3.8L 5 speed and am lookin to get the most h.p. for the least amount of money. anyone got any ideas or suggestions???

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
+A lot. You're starting with probably the worst motor possible if you want to make power on the cheap.
I do not think so. The gt mustangs with the modular motors are way more expensive to gain power with. Sure they gain more from bolt ons, but when you get into the engine, the parts are extremely expensive. Just to convert a car with a modular to a stroker at my college, with a shop rate of $15 per hour costed with the discounted parts and only the stroker kit, the forged rods, forged pistons, rings,and bearings was $6300. That is insane. You could build a 4.3 stroker v6 for a lot less than half of that.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
ya but it still is not the most expensive motor to work with. especially when you compare it with the modular motors. I know that the old carb motors are cheap and easy to make power with and come by but the 3.8 is not insanely expensive to upgrade when comparing it to the overhead cam modular motors.

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
I'd say the 3.8 and the 4.6 are around the same if you want to mod them.. for real though the 5.0's are cheap to mod.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I'd say the 3.8 and the 4.6 are around the same if you want to mod them.. for real though the 5.0's are cheap to mod.
5.0's are cheap for sure. but there is no way you can compare a 3.8L and 4.6L money wise modding. The mod motor will cost leaps more to mod. Cams alone are crazy exp[ensive enough and then you have to get the timing on them right, which from what a guy i know is going through would suck.

everything for a mod motor is expensive.

I have around $1500 in my current cam/intakes/Heads setup in parts. Labor is another thing, but If you can do it yourself this is cheap.

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
No one said it was the most expensive motor to work with, they said 'worst motor possible to make power on the cheap'. This is relative. Compare a stock modular, since you brought them up, to the OP's car. Now compare how much it would cost to get each of those to lets just say 12's. You'll spend less on the GT then to get this single port to the same level. That was the point I do believe. These motors aren't the worst, but if money is tight its probably not the best job to tackle cuz it probably won't satisfy. However, I say a split port swap and tune for starters...then get to that rear end and some full exhaust you'll be on the right track. All that may put you in the 1 thousand dollar range but will be a huge diff.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Both the 3.8 and the 2v 4.6 are money pits to make fast.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Both the 3.8 and the 2v 4.6 are money pits to make fast.
maybe they are and maybe they are not as cheap to mod as the 5.0 which parts r extremely cheap for, but they are still great cars.

and goren you are right kind of but no matter what vehicle you have to make serious power it is going to cost money, and usually quite a bit of it. The 3.8 are relatively cheap to build up when you compare them to the 4.6, and as far as 1/4 mile times that is a different story. The 5.0s of course are going to be the cheapest, because they can run high 12s, with a few bolt ons and some serious weight reduction.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts