Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i'm in the process of rebuilding my intake system (MAC CAI, 70mm TB, C&L plenum), i hope to be able to reduuild my exhaust setup (MAC L/Ts, x-pipe [catted], SLP catback), then by the end of the summer get some 4.10s.

my question is, with it spread out so much should i get a tune after each faze or can it wait til lthe end and just get 1 tune? by tune should i just get a diablosport of something, or do i need ned to take it to a dyno? i'm new to this (and there's prob some treads about this already, but i did do some lookin around before starting the thread) so any help would be great!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yah, i hear ppl say that cai won't do a thing without a tune. but i that goes for exhaust and gears too. i dont' have the money to go to dyno after ech step, but if a hand held will do the trick, i can just retune after each one myself.

hope somebody who knows there stuff will post... haha.....

·
Registered
148 Posts
lol yea same here...i havent done much with my tuner, i have just installed the diablo tune that comes on the dam thing lol i am planning on futzing around with it this weekend. i wish i knew a dyno place nearby tho...have someone who knows what they are doing tune it

·
Zoolander
7,719 Posts
you don't need a tune, but mods work better together with a nice tune. A tune helps bring everything together, and work together like all your stock components do.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
a tuner will be fine for the most part. I had to get mine dyno tuned after my long tubes (most people don't)... because extending the O2 sensors so far down, the air was cooling off before it got to the O2's, making them read crazy and the computer was trying to compensate and was making the car run like hammered ass. It would literally just about give you whiplash it would buck so hard

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
clifton, GA?...that could work. i know i'll need to recalibrate after the gears (doesn't it throw the speedometer off?). so i'll prob go get it tuned after that's done...

how vital is a tuner though? i hear ppl sware by them...

·
The UPS guy
3,232 Posts
IM 99% sure.....theres a friend of mine who has modded up 95 and all the tuning was done by that place...i'll ask my dad

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yah,i'm not far from atlanta i know there are places there. is that what i should do tho? take it somewhere...or should i just get a handheld?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
for the most part, the big name shops in our area use SCT.. there are some DiabloSport shops out there too, but, SCT is more common. Alot of ppl have their own opinions on which tuner to get and it's usually SCT vs. DS. I had a DS for awhile and loved it, but I sold it because the closest shop to me that used it was a very high end Porsche service center/performance auto shop whose prices I heard were very high. You should base your decision off what is closest to you. A dyno tune might give you a few more digits to your numbers, but I would wait to dyno tune till heads, cams, fi, etc was in the picture. You can get an SCT and learn how to datalog with it and then get the closest thing to dyno tune w/o visiting the shop from Jgorm (he posted up a few posts). He takes your specific data and writes a tune specific to your vehicle vs. a canned tune that would come on your tuner. Good luck with your decision. keep us posted :)

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
you dont need the tune but I'll swear by it like you said. my buddy and i have the same mods on our mustang except hes got the tuner and i dont (YET) and he pulls me by at least 2 cars in the 1/8th and i think if he can get it down better he'l beat by more, and thats only with his preloaded tune. he hasnt even put his custom tune. not sure how much better but ppl say its def got a difference between the custom and pre.

·
Registered
400 Posts
it might be a good idea to get a tuner or dyno tune. I had a cai, full exhaust, and gears and only took 1 second off my 1/8th mile time. I got it dyno tuned but i have a totally different setup now so I couldnt tell you how much a dyno after the first things would have helped out.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I just know that LTs x pipe catback cai and 4:10 should have taken more than a second off the time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts