Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a tuner and intake combo from American muscle to go along with my 78mm throttle body 90mm maf (the stock maf housing broke and couldn't find a used or new one so i bought this) and prochamber. Once I installed all parts I noticed that there is significantly less power in first and second gear than there is in third and fourth. I feel that there is no reason that third should pull harder than second. I attended a dyno day and the car made 255hp 292tq. I data logged the problem as it was happening and they revised the tune but no difference was felt. Think of it as if you we're to do a dyno pull on the street in second gear, floor it at 2k rpms and at about 3500 it just falls on its face and at about 5600 to 5700 the power comes back. But only in first and second. Not third or fourth.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Lexus FTW
4,411 Posts
Not 100% sure but can they tune in your 90mm MAF? It may be reading it wrong and sending the wrong info to the ECU. :dunno You couldn't find a stock MAF? they are all over the place

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Probably from the MAF housing being swapped. Did you reuse your MAF? Or the 90mm one?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Probably gonna be the diff maf housing. it throws off flow numbers. especially if it is a biger size

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
I have a stock maf laying around. They are all over. Is it tuned for the 90mm?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Sounds like the maf.Is that a " 90mm lightening maf" you bought?.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
I bought a tuner and intake combo from American muscle to go along with my 78mm throttle body 90mm maf (the stock maf housing broke and couldn't find a used or new one so i bought this) and prochamber. Once I installed all parts I noticed that there is significantly less power in first and second gear than there is in third and fourth. I feel that there is no reason that third should pull harder than second. I attended a dyno day and the car made 255hp 292tq. I data logged the problem as it was happening and they revised the tune but no difference was felt. Think of it as if you we're to do a dyno pull on the street in second gear, floor it at 2k rpms and at about 3500 it just falls on its face and at about 5600 to 5700 the power comes back. But only in first and second. Not third or fourth.
03sonikblu,

Sounds like there may have been some miscommunication about exactly which MAF you're using. The MAF sensor can certainly throw off your power curve if the calibration is off.

Is this a 90mm MAF housing with your stock MAF sensor installed or a 90mm 01-04 Ford Lightning MAF housing and sensor or another aftermarket company? Please clarify this for me and I'll see what information our Bama Team based your tunes off of. This could be where the issue is occurring.

Let me know and we'll get this straightened out for you ASAP!

Shane

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Mac is a 90mm lightning maf and yes they knew and altered the tune accordingly. I paid like 65 bucks for it new and I had a want to buy post for one and could see spending 180 bucks for a stock one because I didn't have the cash

·
I like boobs!!!
3,869 Posts
I recommend getting with Jerry from Team PI racing and having him put a real tune specific to your car on there. He's the nicest guy you'd ever want to meet and very helpful. With a few datalogs we got my 2000 spot on. Handheld tuners just have canned tunes that are designed to work with an array of parts. You can get close, but you can't get it perfect with a handheld. You need a real tune. Hit him up. He posts on here as RabidStang.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Its probably your tune, but do you have any other mods besides what you posted? You're sucking in so much air your low end is going to suffer regardless of the tune.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So he doesn't need to dyno the car? Just needs data logs? I have a data log saved right now that I did about a week ago to get the tune revised. How does pricing go?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Its probably your tune, but do you have any other mods besides what you posted? You're sucking in so much air your low end is going to suffer regardless of the tune.
I have to jlt next gen cold air, 90mm maf, bank 78mm tb, prochamber mid pipe and and a borla catback with a 170 thermostat.

·
I like boobs!!!
3,869 Posts
So he doesn't need to dyno the car? Just needs data logs? I have a data log saved right now that I did about a week ago to get the tune revised. How does pricing go?

Give him a call. He'll hook you up quick fast and in a hurry. (386) 956-2988. Pricing depends on how far you want to go, but the basic level tune that he'll do with datalogs. You don't need a dyno to tune your car. All a dyno does is give you a HP number and allow you to run the car without it moving. Real time datalog of the car driving on the street is actually better and more accurate than a dyno.

·
I like boobs!!!
3,869 Posts
His name is Jerry. Tell him I told you to call him. Careful though, he'll get you addicted.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Give him a call. He'll hook you up quick fast and in a hurry. (386) 956-2988. Pricing depends on how far you want to go, but the basic level tune that he'll do with datalogs. You don't need a dyno to tune your car. All a dyno does is give you a HP number and allow you to run the car without it moving. Real time datalog of the car driving on the street is actually better and more accurate than a dyno.
What do you mean pricing depends on how far you go? I just want a correct tune for what I have.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just got off the phone with him and I'm going to have to end up buying his software so that he can tune it which I wasn't really ready to do. I'm receiving my tax return in a couple weeks so we will see how this goes.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have to jlt next gen cold air, 90mm maf, bank 78mm tb, prochamber mid pipe and and a borla catback with a 170 thermostat.

Yeah, IMO you are sucking in way to much air for your needs. All your mods are to get more air into your engine with no other support for increased fuel. Unless you are making big HP, none of those mods will really benefit you in a stock motor.

You will will gain high end power, but your low end will suffer for sure no matter who tunes it.

I think you are drowning your engine with air if that makes any sense....

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, IMO you are sucking in way to much air for your needs. All your mods are to get more air into your engine with no other support for increased fuel. Unless you are making big HP, none of those mods will really benefit you in a stock motor.

You will will gain high end power, but your low end will suffer for sure no matter who tunes it.

I think you are drowning your engine with air if that makes any sense....
So I understanding what you are saying about sucking too much air however I do not agree. Plenty of people have the bbk throttle body and also have the jlt intake with no problems. It pulls as I feel it should in third and fourth but not in first and second and I don't feel that it should be like that. In first and second at 3500 rpms it feels like the power band falls off a curb.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
A 90 mm MAF is too big for an n/a 2V, even with the transfer function programmed properly the MAF will be operating over just a small portion of it full range making its measurements less accurate...

Also for $65 the 90 mm MAF the OP bought was obviously used, could be defective, and may not even be a real Lightening MAF...

·
I like boobs!!!
3,869 Posts
OP, PM sent

1 - 20 of 27 Posts