Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking of getting an SCT tuner are they really as good as they say they are. and how are they on gas??

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've got no clue, but I also have the same question bobbling around my head, and I'd like to know too.

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
I see in your sig that you have edelbrock performance heads. I didn't know they made a set of heads for the 4.6 modular. Is that something new??

·
Registered
96 Posts
thinking of getting an SCT tuner are they really as good as they say they are. and how are they on gas??
Yeah they are.Just be sure to buy a new one.I bought a used one a little while back and had a few problems with it but SCT tech support is great.Buying a used one I had to buy a tune from [email protected] because the tunes that was in it wasn't for my car.By the time I bought it and the tune I could've just bought a new one..Plus I'm still trying to get Joe to tweek mine.Gas mileage sucks but to have some things ya have to give up others.lol.Hope this helps ya out and good luck!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i got the heads from americanmuscle.com i always get my stuff from them. go check them out.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
they said that they will fit the 281 but it will be a really tight fit. and if i cant get it to work as long as i dont damage them they will refund me. so it wasnt a big deal to take a chance with them.

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
I really don't see how a pushrod head is going to work on an over head cam motor. Is your car a 94/95 or a 96-98? Do you have the modular 281 or the pushrod 302? If you have a modular over head cam motor those heads are not going to work for you.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its a 96 but if it dont work no worries i will either sell it to my buddy with his 95 or send it back. :)

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
its a 96 but if it dont work no worries i will either sell it to my buddy with his 95 or send it back. :)
lol, so you ordered heads for a completely different style of engine just to try em out???

and yes sct tuners rock, before i hooked up mine i was getting about 50 miles to a quarter tank now i get 70+ and my auto shifts way better

edit: i want to see your interior now! lol

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
yea i dnt think those heads will work for you, just get some pi ones?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
The tuner is almost a MUST imo...the difference is night and day. I know I have the pi motor so it might be a lil different but I My buddy and I had the EXACT same mods except he had a tune and I didnt..when we raced he pulled me by at least a car and half if not more. After I got my tuner, we're dead on and it becomes a "drivers" race.

Its well worth its money, not to mention the datalogging and the option for the gas saver tune which should help you save more gas and the ability to check and clear for codes. I know its like 3+ bills for the tuner but BUY IT BRAND NEW. trust me, its less of a hassle and you will literally be able to just plug and play as soon as you get it

·
Registered
27 Posts
The tuner I got for dad's car worked great, and each tune definately had it's own charactor, plus you can customize many different settings. A lot of bang for the buck. I may be selling this tuner due to dad's car being stolen. I believe you need SCT to reset it and get fresh tunes for it. I bought it with free tunes for life, so I'm not sure if I could get it set up for somebody's car beforehand...? When you buy a tuner, they want to know exactly which computer is in the car, not just make model & year etc.
His tuner didn't change gas mileage much. If anything it was better. Hard to tell because we probly stepped on the gas harder too, lol The most noticable thing was shifting with the auto trans. That alone made it worthwhile. We usually had it set to 93 octane tune, which provided noticable power increase, especially on the top end ;)
A lot of people think it will turn the car into a real animal, but thats not the case at all, it's just "tuned" a bit different, along with better throttle response (much much better!!) etc etc Also, if you dont like the preset tunes, you can always adjust the setting to your own liking. They are very easy to use and definately worth the money

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
this is how my interior is starting to look we are working on it in my spare time with my uncle he does custom interior. but the fabric is carbon fiber vinyl. its my graduation present. got to love having family with good skills.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
change the leather to carbon fiber(same colors) and thats what we are going for. may take a while since i work at the refinery plants workin 7 12s and workin on the car itself.

·
Wheelin' and dealin!
408 Posts
The SCT tuner is incredible and I love mine. There are numerous things you can do with it. It also reads check engine codes, something I found very useful. just thought I would add my 2 cents

1 - 16 of 16 Posts