Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
MM's Resident Muffler Shop
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my CAI/tuner ordered from Brenspeed and got their intial tuner email. I'm a little comfused about one of their questions. For anyone who hasn't ordered from Brenspeed, here's their email:

Thank you for your tuning purchase. We will get started on your custom tunes shortly but we need some additional information. This is our tuning process so please reply to this e-mail so all of your information is directed to the correct department.

1. We need to know the year, make, model, and transmission type of your vehicle.

2. We will need your processor code. If you have a 05 to 08 mustang this is located under the hood. It will be a small white sticker directly on the computer which is next to the black fuse box. This code contains 3 letters and 1 number. Don’t worry if you can’t locate the code. Just give us a call and we’ll help you find it on your vehicle. You can also read an article on locating your processor code on 05+ Mustangs by clicking on the link below.

Mustang Performance Parts & Upgrades by Brenspeed

3. We will need to know the modifications you have on the vehicle (if any). If you are ordering just tunes and already have an SCT tuner we need the serial number off of the back of the device. All of our tunes are customized to your vehicle.

4. We will load 3 tunes on your SCT tuner that are designed for various octane ratings of gasoline. We highly suggest letting us provide you with an 87 octane regular unleaded tune, and two premium fuel tunes (91 and 93 octane). Even though you may not have both 91 and 93 available in your area today we have seen a shift lately in the octane fuels gas stations provide. What they may carry today, they may not carry tomorrow. If you choose alternate octane’s please provide them to us in the reply to this e-mail or 87, 91, and 93 tunes will be provided.

5. Because each tuner is built to order we have a 5 to 7 business day lead time on all custom programs you will be emailed tracking info as soon as your order is complete and shipped out. Again, if you are ordering just tunes and already have an SCT tuner we need the serial number off of the back of the device. Thanks again for your order!

I'm confused about #4. That doesn't ask what kind of tune I want (race/street etc.) just that they're going to give me an 89, 91 & 93 tunes. Should I tell them that I want a race tune here??

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
I have never understood places that make race, street, etc. tunes.

A tune is a tune.

You have an A/F ratio and timing.

Now perhaps some places run "more aggressive" timing in a "Race" tune for some more power- but do you really want that? Perhaps if you are racing you are willing to gamble on engine longevity.

Some places just tune it so that it is "optimized" and they are squeezing every last bit of performance out of the car SAFELY and you are done.

Both tuners I have used do it that way, as does VMP to my knowledge.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
The difference between the race, torque, etc tune from places like BamaChips isn't timing which you'd think. All they are doing is manipulating throttle position so it feels like it has more power in certain spots, etc. Say for example, the pedal is at 50% throttle but you're actually getting 75% throttle. This is manipulating the throttle position. I can understand some hardcore racers have a street and a race tune with a few degrees of timing pulled or added. However, like Shane said, most good tuners will just tune for the most power safely.

·
MM's Resident Muffler Shop
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gotcha. Thanks for the info guys. Reps!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts