Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so i was looking into buying a tuner, and I am just not sure. I have heard that I can take my car to a shop and get it "dyno tuned" for a price. what is the difference and is it better then buying a tuner?

Which one will give it more power, dyno tune or tuner?

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
if you are going forced induction or like redoing the engine's internals or intakes then dyno tune it. most hand held tuners cannot tune Air Fuel ratio's like what will be done at a dyno. If you have like a CAI, exhaust, or some other stuff theres no need to take it to a dyno less you just want to burn money. I personally don't think hand held tuners are worth a ****. 350$ for maybe 10 rwhp gains. But my experience with hand held tuner is a diablo sport and imo it blows ass. Only thing its good for is to reset trouble codes.

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
You can do alot with a hand held tuner: If you have a wideband 02 sensor [email protected] can remote tune your car with almost anything (I'm sure some other tuners can do this also). But generally handheld are better for light-moderately modded cars.

When you get to medium, or heavy modding a dyno tune is normally the way to go to get every bit of power and reliability.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have always been used to vehicles being "Dyno Tuned". IMO, it's worth the extra money. It also depends on who is tuning your car. do your homework first, and use a reputable shop.

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
get a tuner then you can get your different dyno-tunes loaded on the tuner when you get to the point of needing dyno time

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Handheld tuners can do a lot with a custom tune. That includes altering the AF. I agree that once you are heavily modded (i.e. FI) go for the dyno tune. Until then the handheld is a much better choice. When combined with a wideband the tuner can do pretty much the same thing as the dyno tune. Also, if you own your own tuner you can get a new tune everytime you get a new mod done. Click on the link in my sig. The guy gives you a great deal and he really knows his stuff. You get free custom tunes for 2 years!

·
Zoolander
7,719 Posts
A dyno tune is better, but right now isn't exactly beneficial to you. Just go with a tuner for now, and when your really gettin into modding your car then get a dyno tune.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
if you are going forced induction or like redoing the engine's internals or intakes then dyno tune it. most hand held tuners cannot tune Air Fuel ratio's like what will be done at a dyno. If you have like a CAI, exhaust, or some other stuff theres no need to take it to a dyno less you just want to burn money. I personally don't think hand held tuners are worth a ****. 350$ for maybe 10 rwhp gains. But my experience with hand held tuner is a diablo sport and imo it blows ass. Only thing its good for is to reset trouble codes.
The SCT XCAL2 is gives me about 20hp and 20tq with my current setup.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts