Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if you get a tuner do you have to have a garage tune your car for you or can you do it yourself?

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
When you buy a hand held tuner it will have canned tunes in it that you just upload into your car

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
:withhomo

I mean "Technically" you can tune it yourself if you get the specific software that the device uses; but I would never recommend that unless you've A. know what your doing, or B. have tuned a car before.

Canned tunes are perfectly fine for minor bolt-ons, but if you are doing something bigger, cams, s/c, nitrous, turbo; a dyno tune is a 100% must.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
There are limited options you can play with on your own, but all the cool stuff you will need the software for. Whoever does your dyno work will have this stuff.

·
Registered
156 Posts
:withhomo

I mean "Technically" you can tune it yourself if you get the specific software that the device uses; but I would never recommend that unless you've A. know what your doing, or B. have tuned a car before.

Canned tunes are perfectly fine for minor bolt-ons, but if you are doing something bigger, cams, s/c, nitrous, turbo; a dyno tune is a 100% must.
^+1... usually when you get a tuner say the SCT3 hand held you tell wherever you buy it from what bolt ons you have on the car and they will load a custom tune for you setup. you can also get another tune for added bolt ons, but for big power adders its always best to get a dyno tune.

·
Banned
491 Posts
you will not be able to tune it except for what comes adjustable on the tuner, IE gear ratio, spark, etc. to properly tune the car you will need someone with SCT software to do it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts