Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i just got serious about modding my mustang. Its a 2000 v6.
I just ordered a cai. And im thinking about ordering a chip

SCT Mustang Performance Chips at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

Only thing is that i know nothing about it. If i was going to order one, it would be this one. But i need to know about different tunes and what options are avaliable to me. Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
A hand-held tuner is usually recommended over a chip. You can get a free "canned" tune off AM, you can get a dyno tune (the shop needs to be able to work with SCT software), or you can data log and get tunes e-mailed to you from people such as TrickTuners or VMPTuning.

·
Danger To Manifold
1,488 Posts
It is true that a tuner will be better for you in the long run, but if you are in a position like I am where you only want the power some times and the gas millage another time witout having to re-flash your PCM I'd recommend the chip.

The tuner will allow you to change parameters on your own where as the chip will not. But if you order from AM you just have to send it back to get some updated tunes.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
It is true that a tuner will be better for you in the long run, but if you are in a position like I am where you only want the power some times and the gas millage another time witout having to re-flash your PCM I'd recommend the chip.

The tuner will allow you to change parameters on your own where as the chip will not. But if you order from AM you just have to send it back to get some updated tunes.
dont you need a hand-held tuner if you want the ability to data log for TrickTuners or VMPTuning?
I think ive heard you cant do this with a chip, but im not positive.

·
Zoolander
7,719 Posts

I disagree you can get better gas mileage just out of a performance tune. When I had my gt I was getting better gas mileage on a canned tune for 87 octane than the stock tune. Same goes with all engines it is possible. Your best way to save gas is to not floor it everywhere you go or buy a prius, and also you don't have to send your tuner back to get different tunes, they email you the tunes.

In the long run it is better to get a handheld it is more versatile than a chip.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
CHIP:
1) swtich tunes on fly (ideal if you plan on running spray or want a conservative tune for cruising and then flip to the aggressive tune for tracks)
2) Can hold up to 5 custom tunes

Handheld:
1) can datalog
2) stores up to 3 custom tunes (X3)
3) can recieve email tunes
4) can adjust parameters

what it all boils down to is what you intend to do to your car. Ive had the experience with both and I liked the adjutability on the fly with my spray but when I got rid of it got the X3, from Joe at Trick Tuners, SCT Flash Tuners, SCT Flash Custom Tuning, PLX Devices widebands and gauges, SCT Flash tuners, SCT Xcal2, sct livewire, sct xcalibrator, so that I can datalog and play around with the parameters and see exactly how/what my car is doing.

and :withhomo on the gas thing

·
Registered
806 Posts
I disagree you can get better gas mileage just out of a performance tune. When I had my gt I was getting better gas mileage on a canned tune for 87 octane than the stock tune. Same goes with all engines it is possible. Your best way to save gas is to not floor it everywhere you go or buy a prius, and also you don't have to send your tuner back to get different tunes, they email you the tunes.

In the long run it is better to get a handheld it is more versatile than a chip.
Yup, a performance tune will net good mileage, mostly because to gain power you lean out the mixture for more air and less gas.

But a heavy foot will drain gas faster than anything.

Also, get a handheld. It gives you so many options and future possibilities. And can even be wiped and used for another car if you end up selling what you have in the future. Can't go wrong in buying a tuner.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'd suggest a tuner over a chip just for functionality. I have my SCT Xcal3 and love it, lots of options to play around with. And things you can change in the future if you need them, like wheel size and such.

·
Banned
636 Posts
I'd suggest a tuner over a chip just for functionality. I have my SCT Xcal3 and love it, lots of options to play around with. And things you can change in the future if you need them, like wheel size and such.
/thread .... seriously.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
ok so since you all seemed to answer this question i have one for you i have an xcal 3 how do I use the datalogging feature. I know it has it i just have not used it cuz i dont want to mess anything up.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
ok thanks, it sounds complex, but i will try reading it more.

·
Danger To Manifold
1,488 Posts
I didn't mean it like he couldn't get good millage out of the performance tune, I just get better millage on the economy tune. Mainly because it changes my shift points.

I do agree that the tuner is a better way to go. I like my chip but I think a tuner would have been the better choice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.