Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
The George Forman of Keepers
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dang, its been ages since I posted here in the 6er.

Whats the best tuner for a V-6? I seen one that you can attach to the dash. Is the Sniper tune worthy? I want to get one before the price gets so damn high I have to sell my car to get it.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts

·
MM's official Chevy guy
2,024 Posts
Dang, its been ages since I posted here in the 6er.

Whats the best tuner for a V-6? I seen one that you can attach to the dash. Is the Sniper tune worthy? I want to get one before the price gets so damn high I have to sell my car to get it.
sniper and SCT are both very good.

the one i think you are thinking of that can go on the dash is the sct live wire. but that is a tone of money and not really needed unless you are making some big power and have a lot of mods.
here is a link to it so see if it what you are talking about

SCT Mustang LiveWire Tuner (96-08)

·
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if you buy a tuner from Joe the tunes are free

if you already have a tuner it's $40.00
Does he sell the tuner at a discount?

OK, Im going to ask the ultimate dummy question. As you know HMUSN, Im never afraid:)

Tuners are confusing me. I understand what the end results can be but I dont understand the process. I know back in the day, guys used to have "chips" that plugged in and that was that. Now you get a "tune" and you can change it. I thought that you retuned it yourself? With the products Ive seen, you hook it to you PC and adjust what you think you want to adjust right? What would be the purpose of someone sending you a tune for $40? They are set up to be self explanitory right? Or is there more to it?

·
MM's official Chevy guy
2,024 Posts
Does he sell the tuner at a discount?

OK, Im going to ask the ultimate dummy question. As you know HMUSN, Im never afraid:)

Tuners are confusing me. I understand what the end results can be but I dont understand the process. I know back in the day, guys used to have "chips" that plugged in and that was that. Now you get a "tune" and you can change it. I thought that you retuned it yourself? With the products Ive seen, you hook it to you PC and adjust what you think you want to adjust right? What would be the purpose of someone sending you a tune for $40? They are set up to be self explanitory right? Or is there more to it?
well yes you can do the tuning your self but it takes guessing and playing around to get the results you want, be it power or fuel economy. Now the guy who sell tune have studied the cars and know the best set ups for basic mods so you don’t need to play around and guess.
Hope that helps explain it.

·
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well yes you can do the tuning your self but it takes guessing and playing around to get the results you want, be it power or fuel economy. Now the guy who sell tune have studied the cars and know the best set ups for basic mods so you don’t need to play around and guess.
Hope that helps explain it.

Perfect! Thanks... that makes simple sense. So If I bought one myself and ****ed with the settings, am I taking the risk of damaging my engine?

·
MM's official Chevy guy
2,024 Posts
Perfect! Thanks... that makes simple sense. So If I bought one myself and ****ed with the settings, am I taking the risk of damaging my engine?
a small one if you go crazy in messing with things like timing, spark, ect. but on a mostly stock car like yours there is no real reason to adjust that sort of things to much

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
The simple fact is...unless you are a very experienced tuner (which you are not) then the tune that you will buy will be much better. Plus, with SCT tuners(which I and a lot of other people think are the best for our cars) you really can't do much tune writing yourself unless you buy software to do it. And this software is VERY HARD to use. However I can't stress to you enough that you should go to the tricktuners website(click my sig) and just look around. Joe has enough info up there that you will have pretty much all your questions answered in detail. Anything that you are still unclear about Joe will be happy to explain. Yes Joe does give a discount on the tuner to MM members. He has asked me not to post exact numbers. However, I promise that you won't find an SCT tuner for a better price.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts