Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2001 V6 (obviously haha) w/ CAI and Flowmaster cat back exhaust. What would be the better investment...a chip or tuner and why? What makes one better than the other and which of each would you recommend? Thanks for all the help.

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
a tuner
its like having 3 chips plus more
when you get new mods you can adjust it yourself pretty much and adjust a/f spark, axel ratio much much more

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
a tuner
its like having 3 chips plus more
when you get new mods you can adjust it yourself pretty much and adjust a/f spark, axel ratio much much more
Which one/ones would u recommend and why? Approximately how beneficial will this be w/ my amount of mods?

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
i recommend
xcal2, livewire by SCT or xcal3 by sct

mainly because most dynos use SCT products

they're worth about 8-15rwhp depending on the tune and mods
shoot on my first 5.8psi dyno run switching tunes got me over 30rwhp
but its MUCH different for a turbo =) or power adder

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
i have a sct chip, but like chris says, its like having 3 chips. and with the chip i cant use the pos diablosport to change my axle ratio so my speedo is off. I COULD take the chip out and try to flash it and then put the chip in.. but im not going to try an monumentally **** my car up.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i recommend
xcal2, livewire by SCT or xcal3 by sct

mainly because most dynos use SCT products

they're worth about 8-15rwhp depending on the tune and mods
shoot on my first 5.8psi dyno run switching tunes got me over 30rwhp
but its MUCH different for a turbo =) or power adder
Whats the differences between those 3 considering the same company makes them?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
xcal2 is the oldest has pretty much everything you need
livewire has a screen that is pretty much like a g-tech also can be used to measure a/f, boost etc..

xcal3 im not too sure
Which of the 3 would u consider if in my shoes. Not a lot of mods but want most power possible out of the tuner.

·
Zoolander
7,719 Posts
xcal2 is the oldest has pretty much everything you need
livewire has a screen that is pretty much like a g-tech also can be used to measure a/f, boost etc..

xcal3 im not too sure

x3 is based off of the livewire program, but doesn't have the guages.

I personally have the x3, and love it.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
personally i would go w/ a chip if you had nitrous cuz you can switch between a nitrous tune and a n/a tune on the fly where as a handheld tuner would take a few minutes. but if no nitrous i would go w/ the handheld, just IMO

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Well...this is a tuner thread sooooooooooo.....Go with the Xcal 2 or the Xcal 3. Both are great I have the xcal2 with a CUSTOM TUNE. My mods are very similar to yours, and I got 20 Hp and 20 TQ out it. click on the link in my sig. It will take you to the place to go to get a tuner. The guy there gives the best prices (especially to MM members...let him know that you are one). He gives you free usb and data cables, and he gives you FREE CUSTOM TUNES FOR 2 YEARS! He really knows his stuff. Just check out the website. It will be able to answer a lot of your questions.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I have the xcal2 with a CUSTOM TUNE. My mods are very similar to yours, and I got 20 Hp and 20 TQ out it.
did you actually get this dynoed cuz theres no way you got 20hp even at the crank out of a single port v6 w/ some bolt ons

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
its impossible to say that you made that
on a single port i'd say with your mods and 93 octane about 10rwhp maybe 12
that with a tune like justins
justin has dyno proven a gain of 8rwhp MAX from 87 to 93 octane
with exhuast and intake i cant imagine it making much more use of it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts