Modded Mustang Forums banner

Tuners and/or Chips

2K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  moond0ggie 
#1 ·
I've got a 2001 V6 (obviously haha) w/ CAI and Flowmaster cat back exhaust. What would be the better investment...a chip or tuner and why? What makes one better than the other and which of each would you recommend? Thanks for all the help.

#7 ·
i recommend
xcal2, livewire by SCT or xcal3 by sct

mainly because most dynos use SCT products

they're worth about 8-15rwhp depending on the tune and mods
shoot on my first 5.8psi dyno run switching tunes got me over 30rwhp
but its MUCH different for a turbo =) or power adder

#8 ·
i have a sct chip, but like chris says, its like having 3 chips. and with the chip i cant use the pos diablosport to change my axle ratio so my speedo is off. I COULD take the chip out and try to flash it and then put the chip in.. but im not going to try an monumentally **** my car up.

#14 ·
personally i would go w/ a chip if you had nitrous cuz you can switch between a nitrous tune and a n/a tune on the fly where as a handheld tuner would take a few minutes. but if no nitrous i would go w/ the handheld, just IMO

#15 ·
Well...this is a tuner thread sooooooooooo.....Go with the Xcal 2 or the Xcal 3. Both are great I have the xcal2 with a CUSTOM TUNE. My mods are very similar to yours, and I got 20 Hp and 20 TQ out it. click on the link in my sig. It will take you to the place to go to get a tuner. The guy there gives the best prices (especially to MM members...let him know that you are one). He gives you free usb and data cables, and he gives you FREE CUSTOM TUNES FOR 2 YEARS! He really knows his stuff. Just check out the website. It will be able to answer a lot of your questions.

#20 ·
its impossible to say that you made that
on a single port i'd say with your mods and 93 octane about 10rwhp maybe 12
that with a tune like justins
justin has dyno proven a gain of 8rwhp MAX from 87 to 93 octane
with exhuast and intake i cant imagine it making much more use of it.

#25 ·
Hey I'm just telling you what Joe told me...And joe knows his stuff. BTW it wasn't done on a dyno, but this tune was data logged.
i know his stuff is good i dont doubt it
personally if i could order mine again i would have gone with justin at vmp
his tunes are done on a dyno with extensive time in it

as long as your happy your good though

#27 ·
You barely have enough mods to justify the $375. tuner vs. the power you will get from it. Although it would be worth it if you had an auto trans car because of the seat of the pants improvements you would feel in shift firmness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.