Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just got my MHS 2vRB1 cams and im going to install them myself with my PI swap which is almost done. I was just wondering how well it will run without a tune. Will i need to crank the idle on it just so i can put around and break the cams in? I'd just like to do 50 miles or so before i put it away again (its the middle of the freaking winter here...)

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
get a email tune so you can break it in
i dont really want to buy an SCT and then Go to the dyno.. id like to just limp it around for a while then take it there

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
You will need an SCT or whatever your tuner uses at the dyno anyways.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
257 Posts
My cams are stage 1's and i have stock tune. I've been driving on it for a month now and beat on it too. It will work, i just turned the idle screw up a little to keep it running. other than that, zero issues

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
My cams are stage 1's and i have stock tune. I've been driving on it for a month now and beat on it too. It will work, i just turned the idle screw up a little to keep it running. other than that, zero issues
I agree that will work but why spend alot of money on cams and skip the tune? Thats were you will really make the money with them..:dunce:

·
K1w1
941 Posts
+1

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Those are the regrinds you have right? They are even less aggressive than a new set ground from fresh. It will run, but it will sound like **** (in comparison to after tuning) and it might stumble a bit too.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I agree that will work but why spend alot of money on cams and skip the tune? Thats were you will really make the money with them..:dunce:
Because its an additional 600. Not everyone wants to blow 600 asap on a tune ya know. Just letting him know, it will work without a tune. Its something you should do, but from experience you dont have to

·
Registered
672 Posts
On the tune subject: Do you guys think that a mail in tune like say from americanmuscle would be adequate enough of a tune after dropping in a stage 2 cam? Or do you guys think that you absolutely NEED to have it dyno tuned?

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
On the tune subject: Do you guys think that a mail in tune like say from americanmuscle would be adequate enough of a tune after dropping in a stage 2 cam? Or do you guys think that you absolutely NEED to have it dyno tuned?
An email tune will do it. My suggestions are Trick Tuners or VMP

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Because its an additional 600. Not everyone wants to blow 600 asap on a tune ya know. Just letting him know, it will work without a tune. Its something you should do, but from experience you dont have to
Yikes 600 lol. A local shop here charges 75 and hour with a dyno technician does it really take that long?

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Yikes 600 lol. A local shop here charges 75 and hour with a dyno technician does it really take that long?
75/hr adds up if your there half a day or more.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
figure its 300 for a tuner, less if its used, plus the dyno and tuning cost. Gets a little pricey
Would i really see a noticeable gain with a dyno tune vs an email tune?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I would dyno it for piece of mind. On the dyno they datalog the car and see exactly what's going on with it. An email tune is a "guess" tune and doesn't know anything about what the car is doing with the new tune. Tune might be lean for example and you would have no idea.

FYI: Bama would not do an email tune for me when I did my PI swap because my heads were ported. Stock PI heads would have been no problem but because of the port work they could not tell how safe the tune would be. You might be in that same situation with the rb cams.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts