Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, i need my car tuned for a new blower pulley and decided i didn't want to continue doing business with the shop that has done the tuning in the past. I was going to take it to Anderson Ford in Clinton, but Rick tells me he no longer sells the PMS for my car and his Predator software doesn't support the 96-98 cobra. I was looking into the Tweecer r/t and hear it has quite the steep learning curve. I have also looked into the Moates Quarterhorse. What other tuning options do i have??? I would like to have a controller to make adjustments as i need to, so trying to avoid a chip. The car is currently tuned with Sniper software. I am not that happy with it or my past tuner. What do you guys suggest???

Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am going to call around about an sct tuner tomorrow......

Any other suggestions???

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
The MS might be over a lot of peoples heads. If you have never soldered components onto a pcb, or tapped into factory wiring, there will be a steep learning curve. It will also no allow near as much control as reflashing the factory ecu. Its sort of a standalone / piggyback style for big time DIY guys.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
The MS might be over a lot of peoples heads. If you have never soldered components onto a pcb, or tapped into factory wiring, there will be a steep learning curve. It will also no allow near as much control as reflashing the factory ecu. Its sort of a standalone / piggyback style for big time DIY guys.
It is quite involved, but many of the other options he was discussing are fairly involved as well, such as the Quarterhorse.

And I definitely have to dispute the claim that an MS won't give you as much control as a reflashed ECU. You have complete control over the fuel and spark tables, rev limits (including 2 step rev limits and no lift shifting with some extra mods), etc. The MS doesn't control a lot of emissions equipment, but it is sold for racing use only.

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
It is quite involved, but many of the other options he was discussing are fairly involved as well, such as the Quarterhorse.

And I definitely have to dispute the claim that an MS won't give you as much control as a reflashed ECU. You have complete control over the fuel and spark tables, rev limits (including 2 step rev limits and no lift shifting with some extra mods), etc. The MS doesn't control a lot of emissions equipment, but it is sold for racing use only.
The QH is a bit tricky, but you don't need to know how to solder components, just plug it in.

What kind of control does the MS have as far as fuel tables? Can it run closed loop wot off a WO2? Will it use the stock o2 sensors for closed loop part throttle operation? Does it do MAP based or MAF based load calculations?

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
The QH is a bit tricky, but you don't need to know how to solder components, just plug it in.
True, the hardware is a bit easier. You can also order a MegaSquirt ready made with all the modifications installed and ready to wire up.

What kind of control does the MS have as far as fuel tables?
Up to 16 x 32, or the ability to switch between two 16 x 16 tables with an external switch. Personally, I find the 16 x 32 too large for practical tuning; my usual advice is to stick with one 12 x 12 or 16 x 16 table unless you have a very good reason.

Can it run closed loop wot off a WO2?
Yes.

Will it use the stock o2 sensors for closed loop part throttle operation?
Yes, or you can use a wideband to run leaner at part throttle if you want.

Does it do MAP based or MAF based load calculations?
Depends on the code version. You would at the very least have MAP and alpha-N load calculation and the ability to blend the two. Some code versions also allow MAF input.

Now, a couple questions about tuning the EEC-V:

1. Is it like an EEC-IV, where you have only one WOT timing curve regardless of boost, or does the timing change with air flow or boost even at full throttle?

2. Can you tune one to do a two step rev limiter? What about no lift shifting?

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
Now, a couple questions about tuning the EEC-V:

1. Is it like an EEC-IV, where you have only one WOT timing curve regardless of boost, or does the timing change with air flow or boost even at full throttle?

2. Can you tune one to do a two step rev limiter? What about no lift shifting?
Good info. Thanks!

1. No, not even close. The timing is based on load and rpm. Load is calculated by the MAF mostly. It can go up to 2.0 (~15psi) Then there are IAT and ECT modifiers that come into play.

2. Yes you launch off a 2 step, but sometimes with the SCT stuff its buggy and does not want to leave the first step. I don't mess with it.

3. You can no lift powershift if you are FAST! There are no ECU controls (that i know of) that will kill spark when the clutch is in.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
You're welcome, thanks for letting me know about the EEC-V tuning. I see it's come a good ways since the EEC-IV. There have been a lot of developments in the MS as well over the years; the earlier code versions wouldn't have been that capable. So there are a lot of lists of what the MS could do at one point floating around that are from when it wasn't as capable as a hacked EEC-V.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts